It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PRR T1 Firebox Construction
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm 

Here is an update. The first and second courses welded today. Next are wash out plugs and water delivery flanges welded in, then off to xray. It will get stress relieved in large oven after third course and front tube sheet are welded in. Firebox work will continue throughout year as well. We will give a full engineering review at the PRRT&HS annual meeting in May. That is something we have done the past couple years to great fan fair.

The photo shows the first 12 feet of boiler and is nearly 8 feet in diameter. These sections weigh around 12,000lbs and are 1 inch thick steel.

I want to take a minute and thank the boiler engineering team; Wolf Fengler, Dave Griner, Gary Bensman, Rich Greter and Scott McGill. These guys have spent countless hours running numbers to make this boiler meet and exceed all requirements of FRA and ASME. This is no small task and these boys have stepped up.

comment from facebook:

#5550 first and second courses welded. Please help the T1 Trust raise the $25,000 necessary to complete the third and final cylindrical boiler section. The goal is to have donations pledged by April 15. https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/station/index.php?route=boiler%2F boiler Photo courtesy Gary Bensman

Last edited by jasonjohnson on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:08 pm 

Wow! It's not much but you are getting a monthly contribution from me!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am 

It looks like they posted another pic of the boiler in St. Louis on Facebook. It is hard to believe that is 8ft in diameter. I would like to see how they do the x-ray of the welds.

https://www.facebook.com/t1locomotive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:41 am 

According to the 41 Cyc, the S-1 experimental's boiler was 102" (8'6") OD at the start of the the first course in front of the combustion chamber. So "almost" 8', while startling to me, too, is certainly not unreasonable. I don't have T1 plans but I'm sure it's right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:02 pm 

The T1 Trust just posted on their FB page an area where you can ask questions for an upcoming interview with the boiler makers in St. Louis. If you have questions on what they are doing, jump over their and ask away. I wrote one I was thinking. If you are not FB friendly, post it here and I can ask for you.

https://www.facebook.com/t1locomotive/