It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&NW #1385 Status Updates
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 am 

The CNW 1385 project blog already has a lot of updates posted for 2018.

The boiler is being assembled and staybolts are being produced.

https://www.midcontinent.org/category/cnw-1385/

I am not knowledgeable about steam and just observing this project from afar. But I am impressed by the workmanship, high standards, approach to decision-making, and project management that I see.

Post subject: Re: C&NW #1385 Status Updates
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 pm 

Looks impressive to me too.

Does everybody in the USA engrave material specs into their staybolts?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 pm 

I have also been thinking about this project as it relates to future steam restorations.

Whenever a project like this is well-documented and publicized, as this one is, it provides a template for other groups to follow.

For example, say a group wanted to restore the NP 328 at Minnesota Transportation Museum. The 328 is a very similar locomotive with similar needs to the 1385. Both are Alco 4-6-0's from 1907. Thus, a 328 group could meet with to the 1385 team and create a very realistic project timeline and cost estimate to present their own museum board of directors. If SPEC machine felt like doing another locomotive, the group might even be able to employ them, or at least hire them as consultants.

In short, Mid-Continent Ry Museum is doing a good service by publishing its restoration work in its blog. The information they put out there gives other groups ideas, information and inspiration on how to tackle their own major steam projects. Passing on information and experience is key if steam locomotives are still going to be restored 50 or 75 years from now. So thanks to the 1385 team for posting all the status updates and information.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 pm 

This is a good idea but as I recall, MTM does not own the 328... the City of Stillwater, MN does. Not sure if MTM's priority is toward steam. Maybe one day the 2156?

exprail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:28 am 

NP 328 is NOT in the same condition that the C&NW 1385 was in. Several of the knowledgeable Steam Team members have made a very preliminary survey of the boiler of the 328 and believe that it is basically sound, certainly not in such bad shape as to require replacement. Unfortunately, the Minnesota Transportation Museum has no plans to fund the complete and detailed boiler engineering study required to develop an "as is" Form 4 document. And until that is done it is impossible to say anything about the scope of work required to bring it back to operation.

Similarly, the machinery appears to be well worn and not road-worthy as is, but it is certainly not beyond repair. Again, no detailed inspection has been made to determine how much work would be required.

MTM is currently developing plans for a steam locomotive exhibit in one section of the roundhouse. The three steamers would be moved into the roundhouse for display with ongoing restoration as part of the exhibit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 am 

Thanks for the information, Hamster. That sounds like a great plan.

exprail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 am 

hamster wrote:
NP 328 is NOT in the same condition that the C&NW 1385 was in. Several of the knowledgeable Steam Team members have made a very preliminary survey of the boiler of the 328 and believe that it is basically sound, certainly not in such bad shape as to require replacement. ...

Ok, thanks hamster.

When I search this site for the NP 328, I find comments like the one below from 2002 that says the boiler has some bad sections. But maybe that info was based on somebody's speculation.

Quote:
It appears as if NP 328, which was to be overhauled and returned to service before 2156, may be cosmetically restored instead and placed on display inside the roundhouse. Sections of the boiler have proven to be thin - too thin for operation. This after the musuem spent a good deal of $$$$ and two years to tear it down for rebuilding.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2812

In any case, sounds like 328 will remain an indoor cosmetic display. That's actually a better preservation outcome than operation would be. Good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:06 pm 

Our UT testing around the 328's boiler indicates that the shell is sound. We found moderate pitting in the bottom of the second course but these areas were small and could be patched within the rules specified in Part 230. We did not do any testing on the flue sheets or firebox. It is probable that the "thin sheets" referred to in the earlier post refers to the firebox. It was known at the time the locomotive was taken out of service that the tube sheets were suspect and that the firebox was pretty tired.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:

I am interested to see responses to this. Is there a difference in material tracking requirements between doing a repair vs. new build?

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 pm 

Wish I had an answer Ed as I am curious as well. I know usually you stamp info on sheets and record it. I would think that you would stamp and record anything that was considered part of the boiler. But again I am thinking boiler repair/patches and have never seen a newly fabricated locomotive boiler. I have not seen studs, flexible staybolt caps, pipe fittings or secondary attachments numbered. All the material info is recorded with certification. If the parts were not new I might think part numbers? Regardless doesn't hurt anything? Maybe is this a ASME thing on newly constructed boilers? Hopefully someone will chime in. I think this boiler project is kind of exciting. Am real curious to see the finished project as well as further construction along the way. I like this kind of stuff.

Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 am 

softwerkslex wrote:

Most US specialty steam locomotive boiler parts suppliers do. For decades I have been in shops, seeing bins filled with hundreds of caps, sleeves, etc. with hand engraved heat numbers.

A few, more Code literate suppliers follow the requirements of PG-11.1 for maintaining Code material traceability. Northwest Staybolt Company stamps a 1/4" circle N in on their products. The official delivery receipt and MTRs are included in the shipping container. NBIC repairs invoke ASME material identity requirements.

Attachment:
circleN.jpg
circleN.jpg [ 1.28 KiB | Viewed 8033 times ]

Attachment:
PG11-1Parts.jpg
PG11-1Parts.jpg [ 167.94 KiB | Viewed 8033 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm 

Thank you for the clarification. To a layman it probably means nothing but I wanted to know anyway as I don't recall seeing it done before. Have some old flexible caps that came out of Duluth MN years ago. Will have to examine them to see if I can find some ID. Not that they will probably ever be used but for my own education. Now where did I put those three caps, haven't seen them in a few years? Regards, John.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 am 

Flannery stamped their FBC logo into small parts to comply with the Code. If you have any kegs of NOS rivets, look for a logo. Champion Rivet embossed a "V" on the head of their Victor brand of rivets.

Attachment:
PG-11-FBC.jpg
PG-11-FBC.jpg [ 160.31 KiB | Viewed 7470 times ]