It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4449 Crosses the border
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 pm 

A number of years ago Doyle and the gang arrived at the old BN station in New Westminster BC..
A few miles up the Fraser River from the Canadian port of Vancouver.

I can't find my notes, so forget why it was here..

Much prefer the usual Daylight colours, but have to admit the gloss black looks mighty fine.

How long did it stay like this..?

I believe it was only painted in black for a little while, for an "employee appreciation" project or some such..??

For transit fans.. that's the SkyTrain elevated guideway in the background.

New West is the location for 3 major bridges...one for automobiles in the middle..the SkyTrain crossing at the back...and the truly venerable railroad swing bridge in front.

This is looking downriver towards Vancouver...with New West on the right.
You can see rail traffic about to cross the old iron bridge.
The 4449 was parked just a mile or two upstream ... off the lower right of the photo.

The Fraser is busy with river traffic, and the swing bridge, being very low... was in constant use to allow tug boats and huge barges safe passage.

The Daylight would have crossed this heading back home.

Attachments:
4449 at New West. BC.jpg
4449 at New West. BC.jpg [ 212.43 KiB | Viewed 8442 times ]
4449 at New West. BC 1.jpg
4449 at New West. BC 1.jpg [ 215.42 KiB | Viewed 8442 times ]
4449 at New West. BC 2.jpg
4449 at New West. BC 2.jpg [ 163.2 KiB | Viewed 8442 times ]
New West. Bridges  April 2000.jpg
New West. Bridges April 2000.jpg [ 181.47 KiB | Viewed 8442 times ]

Post subject: Re: 4449 Crosses the border
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 pm 

4449 was painted in this scheme for this particular excursion (which was one of BNSF's Employee Appreciation Specials) in 2000 and wore it until early 2002, when she was repainted into her old American Freedom Train colors in response to the September 11th terrorist attacks. I think she may have pulled a couple of other excursions while in this scheme, but I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 pm 

Mike Swanson wrote:
4449 was painted in this scheme for this particular excursion (which was one of BNSF's Employee Appreciation Specials) in 2000 and wore it until early 2002, when she was repainted into her old American Freedom Train colors in response to the September 11th terrorist attacks. I think she may have pulled a couple of other excursions while in this scheme, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks Mike...most helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm 

Mike Swanson wrote:

I'm sure the 4449 folks will chime in soon, but I'm not sure it was for "this particular excursion" or just the BNSF Employee Appreciation Specials in general. BNSF didn't want her painted in competitor's colors, no matter how lovely the scheme looked.

She ran quite a few trips that year, quoting an old Pentrex videotape:
Quote:
Thrill to the sight of big steam conquering the Pacific Northwest as SP Daylight 4449 takes to the rails once more! See the SP Daylight 4449 in black paint! Witness big steam over Stevens Pass! Ride aboard the train along scenic Puget Sound! Catch dozens and dozens of spectacular runbys! In July of 2000, the mighty 4449 was painted black with BNSF decals to head up a BNSF Employee Appreciation Special. Running over former Burlington Northern trackage, the Daylight treated enthusiastic crowds to the sights and sounds of thundering steam power.

Pentrex was on the spot, capturing exciting scenes throughout the train's extensive route. Starting in Vancouver, Washington, we follow the train across the state and into British Columbia, Canada, and Idaho, visiting the cities of Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Bellingham, and Vancouver, B.C.

A special highlight is a ride aboard the train along the Puget Sound, from Balmer Yard in Seattle to Everett. You'll see the EAS traveling over Stevens Pass - what an awesome sight that is! - and at Skykomish and exiting Cascade Tunnel. Continuing eastward, the train stops at Wenatchee and Spokane, then crosses the long bridge over Lake Pend Oreille on its way to Sandpoint, Idaho. Dozens and dozens of runbys fill the screen with scenic images of steam railroading. There's also plenty of freight and passenger train action along the route, including Amtrak's Talgo trains.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 am 

Well, I guess that would explain the blue and white BNSF logo on the running board skirts.

Attachments:
4449 New West (1).jpg
4449 New West (1).jpg [ 239.45 KiB | Viewed 8144 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 am 

Bobharbison wrote:
Mike Swanson wrote:

I'm sure the 4449 folks will chime in soon, but I'm not sure it was for "this particular excursion" or just the BNSF Employee Appreciation Specials in general. BNSF didn't want her painted in competitor's colors, no matter how lovely the scheme looked.

She ran quite a few trips that year, quoting an old Pentrex videotape:
Quote:
Thrill to the sight of big steam conquering the Pacific Northwest as SP Daylight 4449 takes to the rails once more! See the SP Daylight 4449 in black paint! Witness big steam over Stevens Pass! Ride aboard the train along scenic Puget Sound! Catch dozens and dozens of spectacular runbys! In July of 2000, the mighty 4449 was painted black with BNSF decals to head up a BNSF Employee Appreciation Special. Running over former Burlington Northern trackage, the Daylight treated enthusiastic crowds to the sights and sounds of thundering steam power.

Pentrex was on the spot, capturing exciting scenes throughout the train's extensive route. Starting in Vancouver, Washington, we follow the train across the state and into British Columbia, Canada, and Idaho, visiting the cities of Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Bellingham, and Vancouver, B.C.

A special highlight is a ride aboard the train along the Puget Sound, from Balmer Yard in Seattle to Everett. You'll see the EAS traveling over Stevens Pass - what an awesome sight that is! - and at Skykomish and exiting Cascade Tunnel. Continuing eastward, the train stops at Wenatchee and Spokane, then crosses the long bridge over Lake Pend Oreille on its way to Sandpoint, Idaho. Dozens and dozens of runbys fill the screen with scenic images of steam railroading. There's also plenty of freight and passenger train action along the route, including Amtrak's Talgo trains.

True. I knew 4449 had been on more than one excursion in that scheme; I didn't mention BNSF's probable reaction to having 4449 run on its rails in Daylight colors because I knew that Doyle and his crew would have realized that already (not to mention that running in Daylight colors wouldn't have really been appropriate even if BNSF had been willing to allow that). I know some of the purists weren't happy with that, but at least BNSF let 4449 run on their property (which is more than some railroads would have allowed).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 pm 

Other than the Daylight scheme, she looked good in BNSF black....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:45 pm 

I like the black paint. Throw some silver on and you get a good recreation of 4460's warbaby paint job.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:44 am 

hullmat991 wrote:
I like the black paint. Throw some silver on and you get a good recreation of 4460's warbaby paint job.
She was painted like that, and marked for Southern Pacific, at least for a little while before she was put back into Freedom Train markings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:18 am 

We are rather starved for big steam in Canada.
We have lost CP 2860, 2816 & 1201, CN 6060
Is down for overhaul, and doesn't travel far from her
home in Alberta when she does run. Considering all
the big steam we ran in the early preservation era (6167,
6218, 5107, 6153), none of them operated after 1973, and 3 of the four never operated past the 1960s. CP 2860 and CN 6060 carried the torch
for many years, but as of this date, neither is operational,
CP 2816 never operated after Hunter Harrison took over at CP,
and only occasionally operated under Fred Green's leadership.
Rob Ritchie was the CEO who had the love of steam, and she
travelled far and wide while he was at the reigns.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm 

Thankfully 3716 at Summerland and the 2141 at Kamloops are still doing a fine job. Maybe not BIG steam...but still works for me. (grin)..

Attachments:
DSC02657.jpg
DSC02657.jpg [ 200.84 KiB | Viewed 6953 times ]