It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Wooden Caboose Bodies available in NW Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm 

The bodies of two wooden cabooses are immediately available in NW Pennsylvania.

Caboose #1 - This former PRR ND Class Cabin Car was built in August 1916, and subsequently sold to the Lake Erie, Franklin and Clarion Railroad where it was on their roster as LEF #7.

Caboose #2 - This 4 wheel bobber caboose was built by the Lake Erie, Franklin and Clarion Railroad in their shops in May 1944 as LEF #592.

Following retirement from the LEF&C, cabooses #7 and #592 were moved off rail, minus wheels, and became cabins north of Clarion. The land on which the cabooses sit has recently changed hands. The current owner is planning to destroy both cabooses this winter unless a suitable arrangement can be made to make the cabooses go away by a party with the knowledge and wherewithal to successfully execute a project of this nature. The current owner wishes to remain anonymous, and has asked me to screen any serious inquiries.

Kevin Moore 814-229-6354 kmoore.dmd@comcast.net

I have multiple interior and exterior images of both cabooses, however this site is rejecting my uploads, i.e. "The image file you tried to attach is invalid". Please PM me only if you are serious and desire images.

Post subject: Re: Two Wooden Caboose Bodies available in NW Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:33 pm 

Both of these caboose bodies will be preserved. We are getting the bay window body and will use it as a yard office for the J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad. The other is being purchased by a private owner and will also be moved to Ohio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:25 pm 

I am the secretary for the Spartansburg Community Fair in Spartansburg, PA and we are now the owners of the LEF7. We have the caboose on our property and are refurbishing it for eventual use as a museum for the fair. Our town was on the PRR line in the past.

We would love to have any information about the caboose as well as any pictures.

If any of the original folks from this post see this, please contact us at our email: spartafair@spartansburg.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:09 am 

I had recently mentioned in another thread that the J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad was getting set to move the LEF&C bobber to their site. It had not been mentioned in this 2017 thread that one of the two caboose bodies was a bay window bobber, which I thought was extremely rare. Never heard anyone say that another railroad had any, so this may be the only one ever built; certainly the only one surviving!

Les