It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TP&W fantrip?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:53 pm 

Hi,

I recently spoke with a fellow TP&W railfan about fantrips over the line back in the 50's and 60's. On one occasion, a business car was simply hooked on the back of a regularly scheduled freight train.

Those common and easy to plan/fund/operate trips make me wonder--could it happen again? From what I've heard, the G&W management is pretty laid back and open to running special trains. In addition, the TP&W runs only 2-3 trains per day during daylight hours which would make running an excursion train pretty easy. It seems like a good idea to at least ask the TP&W if something like that could ever happen again, so I plan on sending an email to the manager of the TP&W sometime this week.

However, before I bring up the topic with the officals, I want to know what it would take to operate something simple like a 1-2 car train over the line between East Peoria and say Fairbury where the engine(s) could run around the train and pull us back, the cost of renting equipment and a crew, insurance, and any additional costs that may come up.

I'd say it's a good idea, how about you?

Thomas Dyrek

Post subject: Re: TP&W fantrip?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 pm 

Where to start.... I have a fair idea on how G&W would run a trip and it would likely be cost prohibitive, IF you could get them to do it and in my experience, they are not excursion friendly. Now based on that very big IF, you'll have to pay for the locomotive & crew, safety crew, possibly law enforcement at unsignaled grade crossings, and an advance crew in a hi-railer and that would be via G&W. They likely wouldn't let you run without a clear route - nothing in your track space and that involves scheduling. Then you have car leases, car shipping costs, mechanics, marketing, ticketing and misc. expenses and the 200 lb. gorilla - INSURANCE. A one or two car train is not going to generate anywhere near the amount of income you'd need to cover the costs. You need a lot of butts in a lot of seats and you have to be able to do it at a reasonable ticket price including amenities and car hosts to make it attractive. So, in short, you need a credible and professional organization to do it.

Running a mainline excursion is not an easy task and requires beaucoup bucks to start with. It's kinda like gambling - if you can't afford to lose the money, you probably shouldn't do it. You'll need a well thought out plan before you approach a potential host railroad and be prepared for the likely event that you'll be shot down even before you get a chance to give your pitch.

Orrville Railroad Heritage Society ran many very professional, safe and successful mainline excursions for over twenty years on various railroads. But the potential cost of liability, both ours and the railroad's, is primarily why we are no longer running our own trains.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble though I likely am. It's just not an easy thing to do.

Oh, and no way in heck will there be an occupied passenger car tacked onto a freight train. Never. No, no, no.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am 

Sorry to be that guy, but TP&W? Texas Parks and Wildlife? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 pm 

Mount Royal wrote:
Sorry to be that guy, but TP&W? Texas Parks and Wildlife? Thanks.

Toledo, Peoria & Western Railway