It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CDOT Budd SPV-2000 car auction
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 pm 

State of Connecticut is finally auctioning off the demotored budd SPV-2000 cars that have been sitting in New Haven yard for years.

Starting at one hundred a piece. Might take a bit of work to get them on the road again after all these years.

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,ct/list/current?orgid=187166

SUNY Polytechnic Institute Alumni

Post subject: Re: CDOT Budd SPV-2000 car auction
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From the spec sheet, just in case anyone is actually looking for more "Thomas the Bank Engine" or Santa Train capacity:

Quote:
CONSTITUTION LINER PUSH-PULL COACH (Shore Line East)
Converted SPV-2000 Rail Car
BUILDER: Budd Company
DATE BUILT: 1979 - 1980
OVERHAULED/CONVERTED: National Railroad Passenger Corporation,
SEATING CAPACITY: 102 - Cab Car 1993/ 1995
62 - Business/Cab Car
102 - Trailer Car
CAR BODY: Fluted Stainless Steel Body/Steel End Underframe
EVENT RECORDER: Pulse Electronics - Digital - Cab Cars
Model No. TTX-REC-02
CAB SIGNAL TYPE: Union Switch & signal Type EL - Cab Cars
BRAKE TYPE: 26 New York Air Brake/WABCO, SAB Tread Brake Units
AIR CONDITIONING: Stone Safety/York Rebuild 12 Ton Capacity
HEATING: Budd Company - Overhead 36 KW Floor 24 KW
BATTERY CHARGER: McGraw Edison - 74 Volt
COUPLER: AAR Type H
TRUCKS: Budd Company Pioneer III
BEARINGS: 6 inch X 11 inch Timken Co. Class F
DOOR CONTROL: Manual
WEIGHT: 102,000 lbs. - Cab Car 100,000 lbs.- Trailer Car
WHEEL DIAMETER: 33 inch - Type "B"
TOILET TYPE: Monogram Retention Type
Road Numbers: 1001 Business/Revenue Cab Car, 1 Unit
1671, 1673, 1675 Cab Cars, 3 Units
1621, 1623, 1625, 1627, 1629, 1631, 1633 Trailer Cars, 6 Units
Car Total: 11 Units

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 am 

I knew a man who made his fortune, post WW2, by purchasing surplus U.S. aircraft. He drained the fuel , sold it back to the air force, then broke up the thousands of planes for their aluminum. From refugee to millionaire, bingo.

At $100 a car, an entrepreneur might be able to do something similar. Just sayin'...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Richard Glueck wrote:
At $100 a car, an entrepreneur might be able to do something similar. Just sayin'...

It's believed a previous "entrepreneur" in Delaware went belly-up trying to do exactly that with exactly these same cars in the 1980s.

Just a "word to the wise"..............

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:18 pm 

I don't know how much of a demand there will be for the SPV conversion cars.

I have been told, although nothings confirmed yet, that the six stored FL-9m's will be advertised next. They had been 'softly advertised' with little interest before. Current CDOT numbers of 2011, 2014, 2016, 2024, 2026 and 2027. Unservicable and haven't operated since 2009. I expect either a scrapper or outfit like LTEX will take them and if lucky one or two will survive in some form.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm 

MEC_557 wrote:
I don't know how much of a demand there will be for the SPV conversion cars.

I have been told, although nothings confirmed yet, that the six stored FL-9m's will be advertised next. They had been 'softly advertised' with little interest before. Current CDOT numbers of 2011, 2014, 2016, 2024, 2026 and 2027. Unservicable and haven't operated since 2009. I expect either a scrapper or outfit like LTEX will take them and if lucky one or two will survive in some form.

I believe that.

I was told they were offered in the past but the price tag was more than what they were worth.

SUNY Polytechnic Institute Alumni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:28 pm 

These cars are basically amfleet cars if I'm not mistaken are stainless steel. one of these cars be great for one of those budget scenic railroad's?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 pm 

The only thing they have in common with an Amfleet is the fact that they’re made of stainless steel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 am 

Mike LaBouliere wrote:
The only thing they have in common with an Amfleet is the fact that they’re made of stainless steel.
What about couplers, interior fittings, seats, door locks, outside indicator lights, cables and sockets, etc.? These cars did run in trains with Amfleet cars.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am 

Mike LaBouliere wrote:

On the contrary: The SPV-2000s were built by Budd using adapted Amfleet shells and tooling, and the 13 ordered by CDOT were specified to be 100% compatible with Amfleet trains, including HEP and signal lines. Functionally, it's a standard Amfleet I series car with an engine, transmission, and cabs.

Honestly, though, the only places that have any justification for "saving" one of these as a relic is Danbury or Railroad Museum of New England. And we tend not to choose examples of "what NOT to do" for preservation.

And it would not look good for a car that still essentially looks like cars Amtrak still uses daily to show up at some rail excursion converted to an open car........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Mike LaBouliere wrote:

On the contrary: The SPV-2000s were built by Budd using adapted Amfleet shells and tooling, and the 13 ordered by CDOT were specified to be 100% compatible with Amfleet trains, including HEP and signal lines. Functionally, it's a standard Amfleet I series car with an engine, transmission, and cabs.

Alexander, I think you mean used to be, these have been neutered and converted into coaches, so they are actually Amfleet I cars with extra holes that used to contain the wiring for the Self-Propelled functions.

Structurally they might also be slightly different because of the loading due the drive train (beyond the additional mounting points).

Rich C.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Mike LaBouliere wrote:

Honestly, though, the only places that have any justification for "saving" one of these as a relic is Danbury or Railroad Museum of New England. And we tend not to choose examples of "what NOT to do" for preservation.

And it would not look good for a car that still essentially looks like cars Amtrak still uses daily to show up at some rail excursion converted to an open car........

Yes but for thoes for profit operations this would seem ideal as they are stainless steel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm 

Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum has an SPV-2000 in their collection:

http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org/spv.htm

They were an interesting footnote in history, but a mechanical and operational disaster from what I'm told by those who worked on them.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:10 pm 

Eastern, and NYSWTHS have examples. Here's to hoping they don't become the next
GG-1, an example in most collections coast to coast. There are many mechanical differences between these cars and Amfleet's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 pm 

I've had it wryly suggested to me by someone who supposedly knows the flaws of the SPV-2000 better than I do that the best use for one of these lemons in preservation would be to blackmail the past operators for grants for their operations, or they would prominently restore the CDOT/Metro-North logos on the cars.......

But maybe an open shell for a private party car, dining car for a dinner train, or whatnot? We've seen more hare-brained schemes in the past, after all.....