It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Painting steel freight cars at R&GVRRM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:31 am 

Not to diminish any respect for the work or workmanship, but I can't wait to see the cars get appropriately weathered and dirty to really look like a freight train consist did. I think making everything look too clean is a bit jarring and false, but time will fix that soon enough in any case. Better to maintain them even if they don't reflect reality for a while than let them rot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:39 pm 

Dave wrote:
Not to diminish any respect for the work or workmanship, but I can't wait to see the cars get appropriately weathered and dirty to really look like a freight train consist did. I think making everything look too clean is a bit jarring and false, but time will fix that soon enough in any case. Better to maintain them even if they don't reflect reality for a while than let them rot.

Dave -

You have a point. When we were working on our MDT refer, we got one side done and barely touched the other side before a 765 visit. We ran a "vintage freight" behind the Berk for photographers and the entire string of cars was wyed with the "bad side" of MDT 14070 ending up on the good side for photographs. I shook my head, but then a couple of the photographers said the car looked "more authentic" in the consist. Still, as you say, the weather will take care of things over time and always better to restore the car as best you can.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Painted lettering can go forty, maybe fifty years, and while it becomes weathered, it still looks like a railroad car. Vinyl starts to shrink and peel, and just looks like hell. The problem is, the paint behind it will still be solid, but too weathered to want to put new vinyl on, so it doesn't get replaced. OK, I guess, if you can keep your freightcars inside. I'd rather see the restoration work weather the same as the original.

I see what you mean, and that's certainly a consideration. By the time shrinking becomes a problem, it could be time for this car to get fresh paint again. This was nothing more than a quick scrape, prime, and paint with Rustoleum. Closer examination will reveal that there are lots of repairs to be made to the body, but for now, a coat of paint and a few hours with some decals helps dress up an old eye sore (and give us guidance for the future). I'd like to do more with stencils, and there's some other projects lined up for that method...

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:34 am 

Otto, Les -

Have you, by any chance, run across the original paint specs for the MDT cars? I've been compiling a reference list of colors over the years and have nothing on MDT, either the orange or white schemes.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 pm 

jayrod wrote:
Otto, Les -

Have you, by any chance, run across the original paint specs for the MDT cars? I've been compiling a reference list of colors over the years and have nothing on MDT, either the orange or white schemes.

Thanks

Hi Eric, can't say I've come across any information like that. The orange color I used was simply a mix of Rustoleum red paint and yellow paint to get to a shade "close enough.'

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 pm 

Hi Mr. Vondrak,

Have to say, I really like this idea of doing a quick restoration to both stabilize a car and make it presentable to the public. I hope others take inspiration from your example.

Are you planning to do another car in similar fashion next year? I hope so.

Thanks.