It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIRR 417 near Colonie, NY
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:54 am 

Abandoned with a cracked block, former LIRR ALCO S1 #417, sits in the vines, deteriorating. The floor is long rotted out, and everything that could be sold for scrap or taken as a souvenir, has been. Surprisingly, the locomotive is amazingly intact as far as the appearance of being a live switcher. The only hope I see for her is to be fished out of the vines, gutted and mechanical cavities welded shut. She might serve as a park of museum "climb on it and take pictures" kind of thing. I recall something similar using an E-L ALCO switcher, painted up as NYC, in New York City.

There was an ex- Albany Ports, nee' D&H RS3 nearby in similar condition. I didn't attempt to look inside her. A number of passenger cars as well. THis place is very scary, which is why a visited with a buddy and both arrived and departed by hot air balloon.

Post subject: Re: LIRR 417 near Colonie, NY
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:26 pm 

I just expect all that stuff to be cut up. Every time I see new pics it's deteriated much more. Even just ten years ago it looked much better and a little more intact.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:42 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DandHRailroad/

"I sadly report, all of the old equipment stored at the colonieyard, has been cut up. The former Delaware and Hudson RS3 that last served as Albany Port railroad. Is totally gone. the last existing World's Fair coach from 1939, the Delaware and Hudson number 203 is totally gone. the only thing remaining is the car body of the New York Central rapid stream which lays on its side awaiting chopping up"

#417 pictured above was scrapped as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 pm 

The ALCO S-1 419 is still with us and in good shape living in Upper Sandusky, Ohio where it serves an elevator.

Kevin K