It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:49 pm 

According to the bible, aka 1941 Locomotive Cyclopedia, they are gage cocks!

So you are both wrong! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 pm 

Hot Metal wrote:
According to the bible, aka 1941 Locomotive Cyclopedia, they are gage cocks!

So you are both wrong! :-)

I didn't say test cocks was correct.... I just said that is what I would prefer!
:-)

Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:33 pm 

Deleted, as information was duplicated below.

Last edited by YeOldeEnjine on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:04 pm 

My word, that seems to have happened so quickly! Good luck to them, and congratulations on a great preservation!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:19 pm 

Posted on the WMSR Facebook page yesterday. They are selling tickets for rides behind 1309 on the Forth of July already today (I'll put in another post):

1309 Project Update
Western Maryland Scenic Railroad·Tuesday, January 10, 2017
The one question most asked about the 1309 project is the most difficult to answer: When will it be done? We have a best guess, but that is really all we can do. This is a complex and unpredictable project. WMSR has to “get it right” the first time around.
This is a “return to specification” overhaul. The locomotive will be a superior machine to the one that rolled out of Eddystone in late 1949. It will have a more modern air brake system (26L), forced lubrication of many additional wearing surfaces, temperature sensors at critical points, a more functional electrical system, case hardened pins and bushings, and other subtle improvements. In November and December of 2016, the WMSR shop crew installed a new rear tube sheet, the lower door ring patch, and new lower firebox interior corners. The boiler still needs a small patch and some pad welding. Almost all of the brake and suspension rigging has been removed, rehabilitated, and is ready to be reapplied. The pony truck is largely complete, with a newly-turned wheels. The tender has been finished for several months. It involved a great deal of basic restoration and upgrading work. The major boiler tasks remaining are installing roughly 300 flexible and 70 rigid staybolts, rolling in the new tubes and flues, setting up the superheater units, and reinstalling the renewed front end. It represents a substantial amount of basic industrial production work. WMSR’s restoration crew is finishing the new cab (the old one required too much work to be salvaged). Other WMSR craftsmen will fabricate a new ashpan and hopper. 1309 will get all new jacketing. One of the most critical components will be the water columns and tri-cocks, which WMSR had to design from scratch. The Engineer and Fireman always need to know where the water level is in the boiler. The railroad has been “painting as it goes.” That does a vastly better job of protecting the metal and avoiding hidden bare spots where rust can get a toehold. The engine will retain the number 1309, and will be lettered “Western Maryland” in classic Railroad Roman. Major reassembly will begin in January, 2017, and proceed in stages. WMSR will run all new copper lubrication lines and install additional mechanical lubricators. Some of the existing steam piping will be reused, with many new components. New schedule 80 heavy duty pipe will need to be cut, bent, threaded, and fitted up to replace all existing piping. It makes almost no sense to rely on original piping. The air brake system will be similar to the 26L schedule used on second generation diesels and modern steam locomotives today. Most of the materials and rebuilt appliances to finish the 1309 are on site or in transit. At some point (probably in February or early March), two large cranes will “wheel” the locomotive. The drivers are done, as are hub liners and the driving boxes. Wheeling will be a day-long, complex operation to set the locomotive on all six drivers simultaneously, as WMSR has no drop table. That will represent a major milestone. For the first few months of 2017, WMSR will be beefing up its shop crew and working with specialty contractors to kick the project into higher gear. Many tasks will happen simultaneously. There are only a few things that need to happen in sequence, and WMSR CMO Kevin Rice has mapped the project out in considerable detail. Every year, the State of Maryland provides a small portion of its general bond funding to not-forprofit and public projects throughout its 23 counties. Allegany County applied for, and was awarded, $400,000 in the current funding cycle, which will allow for the completion of the project. WMSR itself has invested roughly $600,000 in the 1309. The railroad anticipates using the 1309 for at least 50 years, or through three 1472/15 year FRA inspection cycles. At the moment, the best estimate for 1309’s return to service is mid-May. WMSR anticipates boiling water sometime in April, with the usual flurry of final tasks that pop up in any project of this nature. There will be a period of test runs, crew training, and other special operations. If things go well and we can start revenue service sooner, we certainly will. The 1309 will have a “soft roll out.” There will be a ceremonial first weekend of trains and activities, but it is impractical to schedule an “official” first run. WMSR will post information about 1309’s debut as reliable information becomes available. If things take longer than anticipated, we hope everyone will understand. No matter how well you try to plan a project like this, it is impossible to anticipate how long the work might actually take to complete. For example, to our knowledge no one has retrofitted a completely new and innovative mechanical lubrication system on a mid-sized 2-6-6-2 compound—at least, not in the last 70 years. WMSR knows what to do. There is simply no realistic way to gauge how long it might take, or what additional issues and opportunities might arise. The WMSR Board, CEO John C. Garner, and CMO Kevin Rice made a commitment that the 1309’s rehabilitation would be done correctly the first time around. No short cuts, no leaving known issues to be dealt with later. Think of that as the 765 or 261 model of project management: Have the patience to do the plan, execute it well, and resist pressures and expectations for quick results or firm deadlines. The 1309 has not turned a wheel under steam for over 60 years. Probably no one on Earth thought it ever would again. But sometime in the next several months, that classic American Mallet will again be burning coal and boiling water in the Central Appalachians. It will be one of the largest, most accessible and most regularly operated steam locomotives on the planet. It is our sincere hope that it will be in service for a very long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 pm 

From their facebook page today: Tickets for the Allegheny Mountain Express, our train pulled by 1309, are now on sale for trips beginning the weekend of July 4th! Get your tickets now, they will sell out quick!

**If you would like to ride on 1309, please make sure you are booking for the Allegheny Mountain Express. All other trains, for now, will be operated with a diesel engine.**

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:50 am 

Seems to me that the most important ( by far) statement in the excellent 1309 update above is where he says " it is impossible to know how long the work will actually take". Having lived through a few similar projects I have learned that there is an absolute law of nature that is always present here and that's Dante's law of restoration " it will take longer and cost more than the best estimates by the reigning experts".

This law has show itself present in EVERY steam restoration since 1950 and I'm sure will do so on the 1309.

I do hope that Kevin Rice and his team will remain dedicated to " doing it right" vs. rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline. I'm confident he will.

Sure will be nice to see her doing her thing on that spectacular hill.

I wish them every success and many years of reliable service.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:57 am 

co614 wrote:
I do hope that Kevin Rice and his team will remain dedicated to " doing it right" vs. rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline. I'm confident he will.

Ross Rowland

It sounds to me like the first week in July is the "safe" deadline - they anticipate her being under steam and operating before that, according to some of their official Facebook comments (Ross, when are you going to get on there? :) - anyway...) - but that the "official" first weekend of trips is July 1, to give them that buffer they need.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 pm 

Big Jim, I've resisted ( so far) the urging of many friends to get a smart phone as I've witnessed how a number of my associates have become virtual slaves to theirs and spend nearly every waking minute glued to it. I've survived to date with a flip phone and have been seriously considering getting rid of it ??

As to Facebook and the rest of the social media sites I'll leave that to you youngins!

Thanks for asking. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:50 pm 

Ahhh - well that explains a lot...

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ontractors

(The article is not behind a paywall, so far as I can tell)

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:37 pm 

Here's the newest update regarding #1309.

I'm so glad that progress is continuing to be made, and I can't wait to see her once she's finished and running.

https://westernmarylandscenicrailroad.b ... n-awe.html

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 pm 

Couple of photos taken 20 September 2018. Crews were working on the steam delivery line to the Engineer's Side injector.

Photos taken with permission.

Attachments:
wmsr08reduced.JPG
wmsr08reduced.JPG [ 305.51 KiB | Viewed 9048 times ]
WMSR06reduced.JPG
WMSR06reduced.JPG [ 309.52 KiB | Viewed 9048 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:26 pm 

How did the saga of the stolen brass and parts turn out?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:06 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
How did the saga of the stolen brass and parts turn out?

Mr. Glueck,

Last time I looked in Case Search, the case was still waiting to go to trial.

I didn't see the driver's anywhere yesterday so I assume they are still at TVRM but the driver boxes (less brasses) were sitting on a pallet outside the shop door.

Tim W.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am 

In the second picture of the smokebox front, are those air compressor mounts hinges to swing the compressor out? Why would you do that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next