It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uniform hats
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:57 pm 

Not sure if this belongs in Classifieds, or if it's ok here, but since Transquip is no longer in business, where are you getting conductor hats now? Mine has shrunk some (or my head has gotten bigger - no comment) and I could really use a new one. My dad is a firefighter, and their department got new dress uniforms recently with hats that sure would pass muster... I went to the vendor in town that ordered the dress uniforms and had them order me a hat, but 6 months after the FD had gotten theirs, I still hadn't gotten mine, and finally got my money back. So I'm back at square 1.

Would appreciate any leads you can provide.

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

Post subject: Re: Uniform hats
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:13 pm 

Try William Scully Ltd. in Montreal, Canada. They are still in business and were able to supply traditional conductor's and trainman's uniform caps as used by CN and CP as recently as a couple of years ago. They have a website.

Gord M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:24 pm 

Somewhat along these same lines, this past summer a friend of mine gave me a nice Conductors hat. I occasionally have worked our train, but removed the "CONDUCTOR" hat badge since I am NOT the trains conductor. I would like to secure a Flagman, Collector, Brakeman or Trainman hat badge (I'm not fussy). I have seen one or two for sale, but they have always been marked as sold. Anyone that might have one that they would be willing to part with, I would appreciate advising of its availability and price. Send a PM with the info.

Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 am 

Both Keystone Uniform Cap Co. in Philadelphia and Midway Cap in Chicago still manufacture railroad uniform caps. There is probably a minimum order but there are vendors out there that sell individually such as Gifts For Rails and Miller Hats online. A few also offer cap badges as well. Field and Flower Railroad sells both caps and badges wholesale online to museums and various organizations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:25 pm 

http://www.millerhats.com/store/index.p ... uct_id=109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:04 am 

A few more links:

Gifts For Rails:

http://www.giftsrr.com/hats/hats-1.htm

Field and Flower Railroad (wholesale supplier):

http://fieldandflowerrailroad.com/?page_id=34

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:51 am 

Amtrak "pillbox" style are sold thru Tanen and Company.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 pm 

Thanks for the information, I'll give these places a look.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:16 pm 

If ordering Midway-manufactured caps via Field & Flower, be sure to specify the "Metra style" version. If not, you will end up looking like the drum major in a marching band. Just believe me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:08 pm 

Steve Freer wrote:
If ordering Midway-manufactured caps via Field & Flower, be sure to specify the "Metra style" version. If not, you will end up looking like the drum major in a marching band. Just believe me.

FYI: I have ordered recently from them and the winter style is now manufactured by Keystone I believe, and doesn't have as high a crown as pictured in their online catalog.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:33 pm 

I got mine through the Minnesota Streetcar Museum:

http://www.trolleyride.org/pdfs/MSM_Rai ... -2015b.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:55 pm 

Wanted to bump this and see if anything has changed within the last year. My company wants to buy some new hats for the Motormen, but finding something like the Transquip hat is hard to do. Any leads?

MS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:32 pm 

James Fouchard wrote:
Both Keystone Uniform Cap Co. in Philadelphia and Midway Cap in Chicago still manufacture railroad uniform caps. There is probably a minimum order but there are vendors out there that sell individually such as Gifts For Rails and Miller Hats online. A few also offer cap badges as well. Field and Flower Railroad sells both caps and badges wholesale online to museums and various organizations.

Transqup caps were just rebranded Keystone caps.

As for Midway, they have, through a dealer, in the past have sold one offs. I bought an 8 point style hat through a now defunct dealer who ordered it direct from Midway for me several years ago. I made it into an early Chicago Transit Authority streetcar motorman hat.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 am 

Field and Flower, Gifts For Rails and Miller Hats (links above) still offer Conductor Caps. Last I ordered, Field and Flower caps were made by Keystone and Gifts For Rails I believe were by Midway. Depending on the number you need you might want to try the two manufacturers directly depending on the minimum order they require. One group years ago ordered direct from Midway and I think the minimum was 10 caps.