It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Railyard Productions CN 7456 Work Sessions in Sidney Mic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:28 am 

robteed wrote:
joe6167 wrote:

-Hopefully the cylinders won't be corroded. If the stack has been properly capped and no water has been getting into the smokebox, the cylinders should be okay. Before attempting to move the cylinders, open whatever inspection plugs are on top of the cylinders and dump some oil in there. If you disconnect the eccentric rod from the valve gear, you might be able to move the valve around by hand so that you can dump oil down the ports on both sides of the piston.

Hi Joe,
I examined the exterior of the cylinder heads, There are two cracks that I suspect are from water getting into the cylinder and freezing. I tried removing a brass bolt on the bottom of the cylinder but twisted it off. It is on my list of things to do...Drill out the brass bolt to drain the cylinder.
It appears The stack was not covered, Water got in the stack and broke the castings where it sits on the smoke box from freezing.. Eventually I plan to try epoxy it back together and make a cover for the stack.

That's no good! Have you looked inside the smokebox? All that water (mixed with all the cinders) has likely eaten away a lot of the innards, like with CNR 6218 in Fort Erie. 6167 and 6213 both received stack caps when they were placed on display and as a result their smokeboxes were immaculate.

Maybe you'll have to open up the cylinder heads to see what's going on. I tried to hustle the boss into doing that with 6213, just for the experience but he wouldn't go for it, so I can't comment on that process! (Other than to say use a torch to loosen all those nuts. AND I seem to recall something about gaskets or something, possibly made from asbestos)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 am 

i could be wrong about cracked cylinder head, Those brass bolts may have been like the freeze plugs on cars. Made to pop out in event of freezing? I will look into it at our next work session. That won't occur until September most likely.
If there are asbestos gaskets they should not be a problem, as long as we aren't scraping,grinding them. My friend Dave Reed has the training from the state regarding asbestos.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:47 am 

Hello guys,
This question is for those of you with experience in replacing Ties and Ballast under a plinthed locomotive. The CN 7456 needs some major attention. The Ties are rotting away and caretakers want to fix the roadbed.
The question is should they extend the track and roll the locomotive forward or lift the locomotive in some way? I have seen photos of some locomotives in the backwoods of Maine where heavy equipment was out of the question, they jacked the locomotives up.
Keep in mind that money is an issue.
Also, Where would be the best place to acquire the ties? New or Used? They have plenty of extra track and tie plates.
Thanks,
Rob Teed
Railyard Productions