It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Railyard Productions CN 7456 Work Sessions in Sidney Mic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:36 am 

A lot more great pics of 7456 under steam at this site as well:

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/i ... dsugar.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am 

I noticed in the photos, that #7456 had a number plate attached to the smokebox front under the headlight when working for Canadian National, and later for C and D. The number plate on sister 0-6-0 #7470 is located on the headlight bracket, under the headlight lens. Did CN have a "standard location " for the plates on these 0-6-0's? And the more important question, does the number plate for 7456 still exist?

Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:59 am 

Took a trip from Port Huron to Muskegon on Wednesday, and made a side trip to check out this engine. Many of her sisters ran in the Niagara Region, so wanted to see her up close. I admit that I was surprised to see her with the C&D lettering. Have you figured out how you're going to get the rods and everything back in place? A front end loader might help the cause. Might have enough power to move it that little bit.

Attachments:
cn7456bwsm.jpg
cn7456bwsm.jpg [ 165.54 KiB | Viewed 7183 times ]
cn7456sm.jpg
cn7456sm.jpg [ 171.9 KiB | Viewed 7183 times ]
cn74562sm.jpg
cn74562sm.jpg [ 179.2 KiB | Viewed 7183 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:31 am 

Why move the entire locomotive when you can just move the piston and crosshead assembly? Might need to fake the wrist pin with something you can install from the front, but good enough for a static display.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:38 am 

Guess it depends on how much you want to get hooked back up. Moving the piston would be fine, providing it's not seized. Either way, always good to see rods back in place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:22 am 

As we found with CNR 6213, we really did need to move the locomotive to get various things to line up when getting the main rods back on, specifically when it came to installing the wrist pin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:11 pm 

Ken Jones wrote:
Guess it depends on how much you want to get hooked back up. Moving the piston would be fine, providing it's not seized. Either way, always good to see rods back in place.

That's why they make PB Blaster and Portapower jacks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 pm 

Regarding the Number Plate that appears in the vintage photos. I don't know if the number plate is at Heritage Village. There is a lot of stuff in the depot and as I understand it the stuff from the cab is in storage elsewhere. Now, When it comes to hooking up the rods and if moving the pistons will suffice. I'm not sure if we would be able to attach the wrist pin but at least moving the piston seems feasible.
I used personal funds ( from my YouTube Ads ) to rent the Sky Lift. I doubt I will be renting any heavy equipment any time soon. That said, The locomotive must be moved forward sometime so that the Ties and Ballast can be replaced. That is a project worth doing but it would take a lot of volunteers and a bit of cash.
The rail and Tie plates are there to extend the track BTW.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:28 pm 

a couple tips:

-Since you are only dealing with an 0-6-0, you might just be able to get away with using a car mover to reposition the engine.

-One neat trick I came up with for moving the crosshead around, was wrapping a sling around the crosshead (6213 only utilizes a guide at the top, and there is a web at the bottom to catch the mainrod when you are installing or removing the wrist pin) and using a long steel bar to move the crosshead. Fortunately with 6213 I was able to use the spokes of the driving wheels and engine truck wheels to bite into.

-Hopefully the cylinders won't be corroded. If the stack has been properly capped and no water has been getting into the smokebox, the cylinders should be okay. Before attempting to move the cylinders, open whatever inspection plugs are on top of the cylinders and dump some oil in there. If you disconnect the eccentric rod from the valve gear, you might be able to move the valve around by hand so that you can dump oil down the ports on both sides of the piston.

-you can also get oil into the cylinder by opening up the glands on the piston rod. It's easier than removing the piston heads.

-Also, you should be able to open the cylinder cocks by hand, which will allow all of this oil to drain out along with any rust etc. that it might have picked up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:38 pm 

If you don't use a penetrating oil, ATF works better than basic motor oil. It creeps and cleans...... not just coats with slick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:45 pm 

The appearance of this locomotive would be greatly improved if that H shaped handrail was removed (which isn't in the in service photo on the first page), a new piece of sheet metal fitted over the cylinder and foot boards applied.

By coincidence a new project of mine is to get a Heisler fireless rolling again after 50 years of inactivity. Roller bearing axles. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:16 pm 

Rick,

In my experience, CN LOVED messing with the handrails on the fronts of its steam locomotives. CNR 6167 for example went through at least 3 different arrangements (that I know of). I'd bet it came off of CN like that. Of course, looking through my archives, none of the photos I have of the other engines in that class (O-18-a) seem to have received that arrangement...

Perhaps 7456 got into a wreck somewhere along the line? I wonder if there are still traces of where the handrail stanchions from the original configuration once were on the smokebox front.

Maybe one of the reasons for that design of handrail was to facilitate accessing the headlight. I know on 6167 we have to stand on that handrail to get at the light.

What would make it look better is if they weren't painted red! (Should be black) (unless it was in passenger service, then only the front handrails would be painted white, the rest along the boiler would be black)

Kind of like the 6200 here:

Attachments:
6200 CNR -12.jpg
6200 CNR -12.jpg [ 175.61 KiB | Viewed 7009 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:44 pm 

joe6167 wrote:

-Hopefully the cylinders won't be corroded. If the stack has been properly capped and no water has been getting into the smokebox, the cylinders should be okay. Before attempting to move the cylinders, open whatever inspection plugs are on top of the cylinders and dump some oil in there. If you disconnect the eccentric rod from the valve gear, you might be able to move the valve around by hand so that you can dump oil down the ports on both sides of the piston.

Hi Joe,
I examined the exterior of the cylinder heads, There are two cracks that I suspect are from water getting into the cylinder and freezing. I tried removing a brass bolt on the bottom of the cylinder but twisted it off. It is on my list of things to do...Drill out the brass bolt to drain the cylinder.
It appears The stack was not covered, Water got in the stack and broke the castings where it sits on the smoke box from freezing.. Eventually I plan to try epoxy it back together and make a cover for the stack.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:46 pm 

Hot Metal wrote:
The appearance of this locomotive would be greatly improved if that H shaped handrail was removed (which isn't in the in service photo on the first page), a new piece of sheet metal fitted over the cylinder and foot boards applied.

By coincidence a new project of mine is to get a Heisler fireless rolling again after 50 years of inactivity. Roller bearing axles. Ugh.

The front foot boards are there, plan to install them but then it makes access to climbers much easier....Maybe not a good idea?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:20 am 

robteed wrote:
Hot Metal wrote:

The front foot boards are there, plan to install them but then it makes access to climbers much easier....Maybe not a good idea?

robteed -

I think putting the foot boards back on would improve the engines looks. Maybe "KEEP OFF" lettering on each. I think the "H shaped" hand rail doesn't look that bad, and Joe's idea to paint it black will improve it. It's hard to tell, but in the first photo of the 7456 working for C and D but when it was still lettered (and maybe leased) from CN, it looks as if that "H shaped" hand rail might have been on the engine at that time.

My two cents.

Les