It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Coast Rail finished?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:47 pm 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rails.html

Post subject: Re: West Coast Rail finished?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:04 pm 

Funny how they used a photo taken in Orlando, Florida for a story about the UK...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:23 pm 

"Laisse fair?" Seriously? This is a journalist?

OK, let's first celebrate the existence of a part of the world where a farmer can build a steam empire and share it with the rest of the universe. This is no small thing....

Unfortunately, the magnitude of the OOPS was not small either. The avoidance of tragedy is more proof that the Gods like steam, and we shouldn't create difficulty in appeasing them. That said, certainly there must be more than this single instance for any experienced engineman to choose to disregard and make inoperative a safety system.

I think if their company becomes PNG, others will come along to fill the gaps in service - there's too many tourist dollars involved and international good will to let one bad actor shut down the industry. Take a long view and be comforted.

dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:37 pm 

p51 wrote:
Funny how they used a photo taken in Orlando, Florida for a story about the UK...

The photo is accurately captioned. It is also tied into the story, as noted here:

Quote:
It runs more than 500 trains a year including the famous Jacobite service from Fort William to Mallaig which featured in the Harry Potter films.

Granted, it's confusing at first glance, but the correct info is there if you take a moment to read the caption and story.

Also, this is already being discussed in detail here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37890

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:56 pm 

it kinda reminds me of the 767 accident in New Haven with a Wabash Passenger train, the wabash crew were inexperienced with the route but problems with signal locations contributed to that accident. Wabash more or less threw the crew on to run that train.

I believe most US mainline runs the host railroad has some member of their line assisting for the trains safety, they didnt just let the train fling away on its own. Often someone in a road/rail car precedes the train.

England may have a different approach allowing operations like West Coast to run the excursions but with licensed operators. They're pretty much allowing the trains to run without the extra manpower like any other train. I'll blame the hosting railroad's operations for also allowing an unsafe practice despite pointing their fingers at Westlake. They will have to just stop running and get their crews better schooled first. If they let them back running.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:03 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
...I'll blame the hosting railroad's operations for also allowing an unsafe practice despite pointing their fingers at Westlake...

I think you are missing the point. West Coast IS the operating railroad, and is responsible for providing equipment and properly trained crews. The company that owns the track (or is it a gov't agency?) just threw them out because they are not doing so. The agency that owns the track doesn't run any trains; that's what the operating companies do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:04 pm 

The story of how West coast has got to this point is a long and complex one. It's been described over here as unprecedented, that much is true. What the final out come will be is still being determined and its far from over yet. Speculation is rife at the moment and the ramifications for a lot of people will be long term. I am pleased that the powers that be have acted in a way and in a timely way so that no one has been injured.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:33 pm 

Lac Magentic comes to mind here. The difference between such an incident here and there is who owns the rails and makes the operation rules. A railroad here would simply fire the offending crew and move on. But this sounds more like how our FAA would treat an airline that has a string of violations and near-misses. If investigation found sketchy training and a poor safety culture, the airline would be shut down until the extent of the issue is understood and a plan of action developed. Resolution could be anything from retraining and requalification of crews to a total ban until the company is reorganized.

I don't think that West Coast Rail is finished. I think that it will certainly be better for this exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:31 pm 

Hampster. You have out lined the situation well. I rode past there site the other day and the guys are still working. We are expecting the worst scenario you describe. Just changing a few guys will not solve this. Don't know if West Coast will survive but not in this form.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 am 

This appeared yesterday........

http://railwayherald.com/uknews/orr-con ... ertificate

Not looking good for them at the moment.