It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam Brings Vintage Advertisement to Life
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:24 pm 

And now a word from the sponsor......

Attachments:
Coke small.jpg
Coke small.jpg [ 98.7 KiB | Viewed 8923 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:36 pm 

Kelly -

For years, the wife and I used to buy Coke in these "larger" glass bottles, and return them to the store for deposit. I once ran across a website that listed bottling companies that still bottled pop in glass returnable bottles and at that time, recall that there was just one company that was still bottling Coca-Cola that way. I wonder if they are still doing it? I am not sure where you got your case of glass bottles of Coke, but am guessing that it might have been some special promotion. Do I have that right, or is there some bottler out there, still putting it in glass returnable bottles?

Les

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:08 am 

At last count, according to Roadside America, the Marietta Soda Museum was still open. It used to be Butch's Coca-Cola Museum, changed hands and moved across the street. They had freshly packaged Coke in all sorts of bottles, including little 6-oz. ones, as well as a whole collection of soda bottles of all kinds and eras. They'd be a great resource for any kind of historical work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:10 am 

Nicely done, Kelly! Impressive all around. Great job blocking, and use of "the reveal," one of my favorite techniques.

I own a 1958 Cavalier CS-96...style of bottles does not detract in any way. As a matter of fact, Madison Avenue would prefer these bottles/labels in something like this. It hints at there being some sort of time warp.

Perhaps cut a :60 sec "Super Bowl" version...and see if they'll use it during the big game (for say, a sizeable one-time donation)

Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:26 am 

I'm cool with the time warp take, myself.

The Cokes you see are the "Mexican Cokes," sold individually. They use sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup and are mostly available wherever the six-pack of Coke in bottles are stored. Because we only had a small number of them, most of the extras had to "drink" out of the same bottle repeatedly...the glamorous life of movie magic.

When my family kept the Coke machine stocked, our local gas station handled the bottle recycling and re-use but I think that stopped in the mid 1990s for a variety of reasons.

Here's an assortment of behind the scenes photos taken that night: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortwayner ... 605075694/

Good catch on the Berkshire Era.

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:34 am 

I've seen the glass Mexican bottles for sale by the case, or I think it may have been a 12 pack, at Costco.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:59 am 

Great photos from what was truly a magical evening trip back in time!

The train, the depot, the cars, everything. Time travel is possible, just in small slices.

Thanks Kelly!

nathansixchime wrote:
I'm cool with the time warp take, myself.

The Cokes you see are the "Mexican Cokes," sold individually. They use sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup and are mostly available wherever the six-pack of Coke in bottles are stored. Because we only had a small number of them, most of the extras had to "drink" out of the same bottle repeatedly...the glamorous life of movie magic.

When my family kept the Coke machine stocked, our local gas station handled the bottle recycling and re-use but I think that stopped in the mid 1990s for a variety of reasons.

Here's an assortment of behind the scenes photos taken that night: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortwayner ... 605075694/

Good catch on the Berkshire Era.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:41 am 

I always knew 765 was a time machine, but darn, she is good. Those are some great photos (and I love the ad.)

Never thought of Mexican Coke bottles. They'd be just "too big" enough to look ad-worthy. If you ever notice the iconic Santa Coke ads, what he's drinking isn't a nickel-sized bottle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:58 am 

'Tis the season for this thread again!

(go to the first post)

Last edited by Al Stangenberger on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 am 

Wonderful piece, thanks. Especially brightening in this time that we live in.

As an aside, the Grand Canyon Ry. used used to give out free Cokes in bottles on the Northbound trip and you were welcome to keep the bottle as it also had the Railways name printed on it. I always thought it a nice gesture. Maybe they still do this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:24 pm 

Love it! Did Coke ever respond?
Would love to see you do a short film of Ray Bradbury's "The Dragon" using 765.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Lka4R37_w

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:04 pm 

Well, its not a Coke advertisement, but it does use vintage steam to get the message across.

Brian Manning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHX7SuN9l5I

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 am 

Great ad!
There is also another railroad connection.
The iconic Coke bottle was designed by Raymond Loewy who created many of the streamlined locomotive designs for the Pennsylvania Railroad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:39 pm 

Another Christmas thread to revive!

(See first post)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:38 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
I've seen the glass Mexican bottles for sale by the case, or I think it may have been a 12 pack, at Costco.

Yep. The bottling line from the Chattanooga plant (first Coca Cola Bottling plant in the world) was packed up and shipped to Mexico some thirty years ago. Those machines are the ones bottling the Mexican Cokes. Some dairies are now going back to glass bottles. Our supermarkets here now have them-two dollar deposit on the bottle that gets taken off the next purchase.

The bottom line is that the only environmentally friendly liquid packaging material is clay or glass. The cartons that are used for milk or other beverages are plastic lined, which makes them more difficult and often impossible to recycle.

As for the bottle design, there were several versions of the glass bottle. Raymond Lowery only redesigned the last version that was used. Coca Cola was also sold in concentrated syrup form. All you needed was carbonated water and viola-Coke! The present Coca Cola company was formed Asa Candler, but the bottling franchise portion of the business was started by two Chattanooga attorneys who bought the rights to bottle Coca Cola from Candler. Coca Cola first began officially marketing Mexican produced Coca Cola in 2009. Prior to that, some distributors had been purchasing Mexican produced Coca Cola and illegally importing it into the United States-at that time, the labels on the Mexican Coca Cola bottles did not comply with US FDA labeling requirements. Incidentally, Coca Cola (and all similar beverages) are legally classified as adulterated beverages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next