It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locomotive in barn at Groveport , Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:34 am 

While looking at the surviving locomotives listed in Ohio on steam locomotive.com it mentions a 4-4-0 B&O locomotive in a barn at Circleville,Ohio and also one further down on the list in a barn at Groveport,Ohio a 2-6-0 possibly a Porter that may be the rumored locomotive at Circleville wich a poster supposedly saw in Aug.2009.

Has anyone else seen this locomotive before? The other day i got a phone call from a friend of mine who is a shop supervisor down in Columbus,Ohio that lives near Circleville so i decided to ask him if he ever heard about this story of a locomotive in a barn and he say's oh yeah it's real! He then say's one of my guy's out in the shop has been there and seen it.I said really,he then say's wait a minute and walks over to the door and yells out,hey Jeff come over here a minute.I can hear Jeff walk over and my friend ask's Jeff about the locomotive in the barn.Jeff then say's yeah i've been over there and the guy's got a track running into his barn and has a whole train inside the barn.

I then ask my friend well what kind of engine is it? Jeff isn't into railroad stuff and all he knew was it was a train.My friend didn't know much more either other than the guy that owns it collects stuff and has antique motorcycles,cars,the train,merry go rounds and tons of other stuff stored in barns on the property wich are in his private collection.My friend also said that Jeff told him if you stop by the guy will show you the stuff.

So does anybody here on RPN know anymore peticulars on this locomotive at Groveport.Is it the same one mentioned at Circleville Ohio or are there locomotives in barns at both places?

Post subject: Re: Locomotive in barn at Groveport , Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:57 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I'm placing my money on live-steamers such as Cagneys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:20 am 

The Glover standard gage 2-6-0 is in private hands in Ohio somewhere, perhaps it is what is mentioned?

dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am 

Sounds like a job for the "American Pickers"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:33 pm 

I have apparently "found" the barn on Google maps.

Took about 5 minutes of searching around. There is indeed a barn, near Groveport, that has some standard gauge track peaking out the end. It's a nice size barn. Not sure about having "an entire train" in there, but there's definitely room for a couple locos side by side and maybe more than that.

What's in there? No idea... But it looks like it may exist...

Out of respect for his privacy, I'm not posting a link, but the description above gives you enough info to find it with a bit of searching.

Last edited by Bobharbison on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:39 pm 

Photo from Bing Maps

Attachments:
Fullscreen capture 1192011 13607 PM.bmp.jpg
Fullscreen capture 1192011 13607 PM.bmp.jpg [ 94.08 KiB | Viewed 11394 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:09 pm 

There is a glover locomotive in the Barn located in that picture. I personally have seen it in person and its neat piece complete with lap seem boiler and is a very complete locomotive. The owner every so often has run it on a big air compressor to run it in and out of the barn.

Steven Harvey

http://www.americansteamrailroad.org
http://www.fireup2100.org

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:34 pm 

I didn't know Cagney built standard gauge engines!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:03 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
But is that live-steam scale track I see crossing the picture in front of the buildings? <:-)

And we still haven't figured out the alleged "B&O 4-4-0"--that's more likely to be Cagney or Crown.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:22 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 366750831/

Has turned up on Facebook Marketplace.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:14 pm 

Greetings:
The locomotive at Groveport, OH is Glover c/n 10168 built 1/1925.
In "The Steam Locomotive Directory of North America" it is listed (as I recall) at Silver Springs, FL; owned by Western Heritage USA.
I saw it there. It was fairly complete, but as noted, has a lap seam boiler which is why it was run on air on private property by the late owner.
Be well,
J.David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:00 pm 

10168 ended its career after 1954 at Holly Hill Lumber in South Carolina. Jim Glover went on a family vacation when he was a kid in the 1970s to Six Gun Territory in Florida and saw his family name on the builders plate on this one....... before it went to the restaurant. I'd like to see it go to join the rest of the Glover collection in Kennesaw ideally....... hope somebody there is working on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:49 am 

SZuiderveen wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/936744366750831/

Has turned up on Facebook Marketplace.

Steve

Steve -

It looks like there might be a bobber caboose sitting there behind the Glover. Anyone know if it is a genuine caboose and if so, its railroad heritage?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:35 am 

I have visited these Groveport, Ohio, storage barns several times during the past 25 years, and my breath was taken away each time I saw all those items--buggies, automobiles, airplanes, motorcycles, and hundreds of smaller items, etc.--crammed inside, some hanging from the ceiling. WOW!

The bobber caboose is the real deal, although with some wreck (?) damage and wood rot to both platforms and wood rot on the roof and other places. The cupola is missing from the bobber's body, with a big, square hole in the roof where it used to be attached. (Who knows--it might be stored someplace inside that barn.) This caboose sits on 4 cast iron pedestals that have the raised initials "L.&.N.E." cast into them.

The Glover locomotive #4 has a replacement wood cab that is so new that it has never been painted. The cowcatcher-type pilot is welded together from square, tubular steel, and there is the usual sheet metal work forming a fake balloon smokestack. There are no Glover builder's plates on it, but the cylinders have ownership plates reading, "Glover Mach. Works - Owners - Marietta, Ga." A nice touch is the word "Glover" cast into the firedoor.

Glover locos are rare, with 6 known to exist in the U.S. and at least one in Central America. Both of these items need work, but are worth preserving. Be safe.

John B. Corns

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:19 pm 

There was a you tube video of two narrow gauge 0-4-0s in a run down, falling down shed or barn. Do any of you know anything about those two?
M. Nix