It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wilkes-Barre rolling stock to be available?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm 

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Extra__1_million_puts_station_plan_on_track_07-06-2011.html?searchterm=station

Article on the CNJ station in Wilkes-Barre, PA suggestest the ACL, D&H and Erie passenger cars on site may be sold, along with the D&H caboose, reefers and wooden boxcars/tool cars.

Rob

Post subject: Re: Wilkes-Barre rolling stock to be available?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:45 pm 

Photos? Condition?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 pm 

Here are some images from within the last year of some of the equipment.
ACL blunt observation

Caboose

D&H? coach

Erie coach partially in building

The ACL observation would be easiest to move as it is on its own and only has a duct attached to the exterior with it entering the roof on top. There does not appear to be any holes cut in the side of that car.

Kevin O

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:21 pm 

Depending on what might be salvaged, it look more like euthanasia.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:41 pm 

Wow. Anything in particular worth saving? I know there are several D&H cabooses that have been preserved, but the D&H wooden coach may be pretty rare. Steamtown doesn't have an example of either in their colllection and would probably be the closest choice for moving these pieces, yet they already have a backlog of unrestored rolling stock.

How bad are the box cars and work cars? There are a few other pics out there but it's hard to make out with the original rail lines may have been.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:11 am 

Love that sexy AC job on the ACL car. Real nice. Before they did that dumb a$$ move that might have been the best thing there. But as far as the wood coach goes, I've sure seen a LOT worse. Wonder what's been done to this stuff on the inside? Gutted?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 am 

That's good news for the station, and Wilkes-Barre. I'd say great news but they didn't get to far with the 6.1 million dollars laid out five years back. That included the cost of the building, though not sure what dilapidated buildings are going for these days. 1 million dollars in today's society will likely get you a pavement, 2 benches and a lamp if I recall correctly.

Here's a photo of the station from last year.

Not sure how they expect to fit a visitors center, senior center and coop extension into the building along with a possible future use as a railroad station itself. I'm sure a multimillion dollar study will yield an idea, if nothing else. I'm just happy the station is still standing. Best of luck to the city. Gotta start somewhere.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:14 am 

At least the ACL car didn't have a hole cut in it's side like most diner conversions. Still, it's best use might be in another theme diner somewhere.

The D&H coach is the real gem of the lot, having local ties in addition to being in fair condition. If I remember from my days eating lunch there as a 12 year old kid (has it really been 25 years?) this car wasn't butchered too bad. There's a second D&H car behind it which was pretty well hacked up, but might still have usable parts, in addition to the trucks.

If I had the means, I'd purchase the D&H car and a LV U-Boat and send them both to the Railroad Museum of PA.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:36 am 

The caboose looks an awful lot like an N6b.

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:36 pm 

I believe there are still portions of an MEC car mixed in there, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm 

The D&H car doesn't appear to be in too bad of condition, except for the awful paint job. Someone should save the Erie ten hundred as they are becoming extremely rare (I believe we just lost the one in Utica, NY). Seems there are a several groups in that area that could save a few of the items there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 pm 

Chemungvalleyrail wrote:
The D&H car doesn't appear to be in too bad of condition, except for the awful paint job. Someone should save the Erie ten hundred as they are becoming extremely rare (I believe we just lost the one in Utica, NY). Seems there are a several groups in that area that could save a few of the items there.

Which Erie ten hundred was at Utica? Midwest Chapter at one time had three that were used in the early years of the Cuyahoga Valley Line (1016, 1020 and 1022 I believe). I know at least one ended up on the Ashtabula, Carson and Jefferson.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:34 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Chemungvalleyrail wrote:

Which Erie ten hundred was at Utica? Midwest Chapter at one time had three that were used in the early years of the Cuyahoga Valley Line (1016, 1020 and 1022 I believe). I know at least one ended up on the Ashtabula, Carson and Jefferson.

Not sure which car number the Utica car was, it went to Steamtown, then NYS&W. It was stenciled "LAL 101" prior to its demise. The NYS&W got two of the cars in the late 80's at the Steamtown auction. 1070 was one of the two and it now resides in Cooperstown junction as a restuarant. 1022 is the car on the AC&J and is the best and most complete one that I know of. Not sure where the other cars that the Midwest Chapter had are right now. I'll see if I can find a picture to post of the Utica car

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm 

Chemungvalleyrail wrote:

Not sure which car number the Utica car was, it went to Steamtown, then NYS&W. It was stenciled "LAL 101" prior to its demise. The NYS&W got two of the cars in the late 80's at the Steamtown auction. 1070 was one of the two and it now resides in Cooperstown junction as a restuarant. 1022 is the car on the AC&J and is the best and most complete one that I know of. Not sure where the other cars that the Midwest Chapter had are right now. I'll see if I can find a picture to post of the Utica car

I think its still on Barnhardt's website:

http://www.trains-trams-trolleys.com/ho ... 4078_1.htm

Not altogether bad looking cars. Kind of remind me of the RF&P modernized heavyweights. And they have cast pedestal trucks -- always a plus. Nice to see Erie equipment that wasn't in commuter service.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:25 pm 

Dave Crosby wrote:
At least the ACL car didn't have a hole cut in it's side like most diner conversions. Still, it's best use might be in another theme diner somewhere.

The D&H coach is the real gem of the lot, having local ties in addition to being in fair condition. If I remember from my days eating lunch there as a 12 year old kid (has it really been 25 years?) this car wasn't butchered too bad. There's a second D&H car behind it which was pretty well hacked up, but might still have usable parts, in addition to the trucks.

If I had the means, I'd purchase the D&H car and a LV U-Boat and send them both to the Railroad Museum of PA.

Dave

At risk of repeating what's already common knowledge, pre-war Budds were not quite the engineering jewell that the post-war product was. Whether or not it could be salvaged to fight another day in service probably has a lot to do with the type of service (shortline vs. Amtrak) and where exactly those cuts were made in the roof. Budd's roof being a structural component and all. Still a Budd blunt end bar-lounge-obs lends itself to some nice uses. Looks like it needs window frames (most likely Hunter Sash, no great loss) and couplers (most likely "T" tightlocks, again no great loss), but for a pre-war fluted car, I've sure seen worse.