It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spanish Tank Engines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:13 am 

A graveyard of 5 tank engines just came through on flickr. Don't know much about them but they really look sad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macfacizar/3359721507/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macfacizar/3360531990/

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

Post subject: Re: Spanish Tank Engines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:42 am 

These locos are in a dealer's yard in Zaragoza, half way between Madrid and Barcelona. Some of the others posted with them are stuffed and mounted in the town or nearby. They were there when I was stationed at the air base south of town between 1989 and 1992, although the graffiti is new. Members of the local and very active railfan group (AZAFT) will probably deal with the graffiti before too long. The tank engines in the yard don't look much different than I remember and could have been scrapped years ago if their owner didn't have a soft spot for them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 pm 

Those five look like they came from the Rio Tinto open cut mine operation; mentioned awhile back. I assume a sister engine is still marooned on the wall of the mine by a landslide.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:05 am 

According to The Rio Tinto Railway, in English by Alan Sewell (1991, Plateway Press), 11 of the lines steam locos went to Industrias Lopez Hierros in Zaragoza by August 1980 "for preservation." These were all 0-6-0Ts, two from class C, built by Beyer Peacock in 1875 and 1890, and nine from class I, built by Dubs and North British (which included Dubs after a merger) between 1881 and 1908. The loco seen stuffed and mounted with the apartment building in the background, #61, was built by Dubs in 1885 and #78, seen in the company yard was also a Dubs product of 1900. I took much the same photos at the yard in July 1991. All were 3 foot, 6 inch gauge. Class C had 15 x 20 inch cylinders, 39 inch drivers, 130 lbs boiler pressure, and weighed 25 tons in working order. Class I had 15 x 22 inch cylinders, 36 inch drivers, 150 lbs pressure, and weighed 27 tons. The Rio Tinto copper mines were located on the Atlantic coast and inland from the port of Huelva. The operation was built by British capital, and their locomotives were ordered from British builders.