It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where would preserve certain extinct locomotive classes.
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:55 pm 

Say you were offered the chance to preserve one example each of a few extinct steam locomotives. What railroad museums, tourist railroads, or other locations would you want to have the locomotive survive at?

For example, I personally would want to preserve a PRR T1 at the Railroaders Memorial Museum in Altoona. Or a New York Central Hudson at the NRHS Central New York HQ in Marcellus (near Syracuse).

Post subject: Re: Where would preserve certain extinct locomotive classes.
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:15 pm 

Don’t mean to mini-mod but I think this topic belongs in the railfanning section of RYPN. Even then, this topic has been beat to death.

Post subject: Re: Where would preserve certain extinct locomotive classes.
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:40 pm 

The 'correct' answer is that significant 'extinct' steam locomotives would be preserved by 'friends' organizations, and not be subject to the whims of typical museums.

See 576, the T1 Trust plans for 'after the locomotive is built', Kelly's organization with 765, Andy Muller with 2102, and most notably the new and improved Friends of the 261 organization (just to name a few off the top of my head -- no shade intended to other organizations) for a few pointers.

The relevance, such as it is, to the Interchange is that we may be entering an era in which some of the 'extinct' power can be replicated, revived or operated, rather than stuffed and mounted. The next 'project' that we might undertake without visible foam is an organized arrangement for NYC 3001, which requires considerable organization-building of the right sort combined with faith-based fundraising to get to the point things would happen. (Rats! I see I was too late and it's gone to Railfanning after all -- I for one won't lobby to have it moved back.)

I'd like to see the McQueen 999 and a Milwaukee A get the 'replica' treatment... and be operated on test as replicas to see if their performance can match what was reported and reputed for them. But that is not the same thing as 'crayonista' saying 'wouldn't it be nice if...'

You have to do what T.E. Lawrence says he did as a 'dreamer of the day' before any future yarning means anything in the Interchange rather than Railfanning.