It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pullman 12-1 Heavyweight John Greenleaf Whittier
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:30 pm 

Hello all.

The Illinois Railway Museum in Union Illinois has acquired this car, and I learned that it was actually modeled by Walthers. I believe it was part of a set, but no matter, they no longer have it in stock.
I was hoping someone here could suggest places I might find it. I already check E-Bay.

Doug

Post subject: Re: Pullman 12-1 Heavyweight John Greenleaf Whittier
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:58 am 

I think eBay, local model train swap meets, or https://www.trainz.com/ are going to be your best bets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:25 pm 

Barndad wrote:
Hello all.

The Illinois Railway Museum in Union Illinois has acquired this car, and I learned that it was actually modeled by Walthers. I believe it was part of a set, but no matter, they no longer have it in stock.
I was hoping someone here could suggest places I might find it. I already check E-Bay.

Doug

Looking at google, there are two models of JGW that have been pre-painted and ready for sale. Theres an N-Scale model by MicroTrains and another example in HO scale by MTH Electric Trains (long before the announcement that they were gonna close their doors). There is no model by Walthers. Walthers for some odd reason also lists products by other producers on their website so thats why you might've mistaken it for a Walthers product.

The one you are seeking is the MTH Model, which is the only one that came in a set. MTH's model of John Greenleaf Whittier is included in Set 80-40002, which includes the namesake 12-1 Sleeper and a Pennsylvania Baggage Car #6016. https://mthtrains.com/80-40002 The link is there. The car is painted with Pullman letterboards, so 1934 -1948 is the era of representation. If you wish to really add on to the set, MTH also produced another 2-car set with 12-1s (Set #80-40003) named "Hess" and "Oliver Hazard Perry" and the big 5-Car set (Set #80-40001) with 3 12-1s, named "Marcus Loew," "Joseph D. Oliver," "James Fenimore Cooper," a Baggage Car (PRR #6042) and Parlor-OBS #7125 "Queen Mary" with Pennsylvania Letterboards

Here are some images. Note; none of these photos are mine.

The other model is an N-Scale by MicroTrains. https://www.pwrs.ca/view_product.php?ProductID=185291 This model represents the car in Pennsylvania Ownership and its lease to Pullman. Post 1948.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:52 pm 

Fantastic detail. Wouldn't it have had "PRR" inscribed on each corner?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:27 pm 

TheAnimeRailfan wrote:
Walthers for some odd reason also lists products by other producers on their website so thats why you might've mistaken it for a Walthers product.

Walthers lists the other companies' merchandise on their web site because Walthers is, first and foremost, a wholesaler that carries/carried those product lines.

Their slogan, for many years, was "Your dealer can order it from Walthers!"

It used to be that a model railroad manufacturer hadn't even begun to make it until they were carried by Walthers and listed in their annual catalog.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:38 am 

The HO model with no stripes represents the car as owned by the Pullman Co. before 1949 and assigned to service on PRR. It has "PULLMAN" in the letterboard and should not have PRR painted on it.

The N model with stripes represents the car as owned by PRR after 1948 and as leased to Pullman for operation. "PENNSYLVANIA" is correctly in the the center of the letterboard showing the ownership and a smaller "PULLMAN" is in each corner of the letterboard showing the lease.

See photos of the actual car. Drop equalizer (2411?) trucks with roller bearings are correct for the car currently.

Owning road in the letterboard with "PULLMAN" in the corners was most common after 1948 although it was not mandatory. The Overland Route had "PULLMAN" in the letterboard and the owning road in the corners of its Armour Yellow cars. This applies to both lightweight and heavyweight cars.

Phil Mulligan.