It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi all. I'm new here. But do have a lot of questions.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:04 am 

First let me introduce my self. My Name is Doug Retired from B&O RR. I always say the B&O because that's the railroad I started on as a young man and retired from the same line 2012. I worked between Auburn IN. to Pine junction IN. 124 miles of track my whole life.
Just walked up to a tie gang in '71' and ask for a job. Was hired on the spot. As with most Railroaders I started pounding spikes, worked my way up to running machines, then foreman asst. to foreman of tie units, surfacing units, foreman of a section gang, to a track inspector for the rest of my career. There's a lot of info between start to finish, way to much to go into here.
Anyways after I retired I started to collect railroad cast iron signage, signals, lanterns and just about anything related to railroads of the steam eras. Most are displayed in my yard along the road for all that pass by to stop and walk among the history.
When I learn to post picks I post a bunch of my collection and welcome any of you to stop in and look around anytime you maybe in my area.
Anyways my main reason and question for you all is this.
I am in the process of acquiring a motor car and really don't have any idea what it is actually or what RR it may have come off. The owner inherited it from his father and he has no info on it to pass on. So here are all the numbers that are on the number plates in hopes someone could help to identify what I have.
(MA-5) - (Type -RO) - (Groupe C)- (Max ?? 8) -( Engine NLM8C 100231)- (Accessory Unit=CA) (Symbol- 58597E)

So with all those # I hope someone can identify it, like what kind, what RR's it may have been on, etc, etc.
Thanks for any help and I look forward to riding the rail with this and you all someday.

Attachments:
DSC02112.JPG
DSC02112.JPG [ 158.1 KiB | Viewed 3707 times ]
DSC02165.JPG
DSC02165.JPG [ 160.62 KiB | Viewed 3707 times ]
DSC02148.JPG
DSC02148.JPG [ 114.57 KiB | Viewed 3707 times ]

Last edited by DougRR on Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hi all. I'm new here. But do have a lot of questions.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:16 am 

DougRR wrote:
Anyways my main reason and question for you all is this.
I am in the process of acquiring a motor car and really don't have any idea what it is actually or what RR it may have come off. The owner inherited it from his father and he has no info on it to pass on. So here are all the numbers that are on the number plates in hopes someone could help to identify what I have.
(MA-5) - (Type -RO) - (Groupe C)- (Max ?? 8) -( Engine NLM8C 100231)- (Accessory Unit=CA) (Symbol- 58597E)

So with all those # I hope someone can identify it, like what kind, what RR's it may have been on, etc, etc.
Thanks for any help and I look forward to riding the rail with this and you all someday.
Hi Doug,

I can't answer your questions, but I do know that most motor car owners are members of NARCOA, the North American Railcar Operators Association. You may want to join them if you are not already a member.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 am 

Hi Chris
Thanks for the info. I been on their site and plan to join after I get the unit.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 pm 

Doug,

If you can post an image of it, we might be able to identify at least the make. I assume you got those numbers off the builder’s plate - there should be a name on it. Fairmont was the largest manufacturer. Woodings, Kalamazoo and FM are some of the others I can think of right off.