It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Clergy and Railways!?! ...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:21 am 

I was asked to give a talk in 2020 to a clergy discussion group on the subject 'Clergy and Trains'. This group had decided to have its annual outing on The East Lancs Railway and I was to be the after dinner 'entertainment'! It did not work out, for obvious reasons in 2020, as the Covid-19 pandemic altered everyone's plans!

However, as a result of the request, I began to study what was available online and in the press on this subject and the place it takes in the wide range of interests available to the clergy. ... Whether my research counts as original research, I very much doubt. However, you might find what follows of interest!

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/11/14/cl ... d-railways

Quote:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that the clergy love trains." So started an article by Ed Beavan in the Church Times on 15th June 2011, entitled 'All Steamed Up About Trains'. [1] On the centenary of the birth of the Revd W. V. Awdry, creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, Ed Beavan asked, in his article in the Church Times, why so many clergy are railway buffs.

Post subject: Re: The Clergy and Railways!?! ...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:31 pm 

Here in the United States, the Baptists, Catholics and (to a limited extent) the Episcopalians used specially built chapel cars to bring religion to the less developed areas. To a great extent, the work was done mostly in the West but the cars also served missions in the south and mid-Atlantic regions. Up until the mid 1910s, the cars and missionaries were typically moved gratis by the railroads. Changes in federal regulations changed that and most moves afterwards were done at the lowest rate. In cases where a chapel car was to stay at a location for an extended period of time, the railroad might even build a special section of track and once the car was spotted, disconnect it from the system to reduce the possibility of an accident.

A handful of chapel cars survive today and one (Baptist chapel car Grace) is still used for worship services at a Baptist conference center.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:39 pm 

Thank you. I had no idea that this was the case!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:47 pm 

One of the engineers I worked with was a Lutheran minister. I told him that his being an engineer was rather historically ironic, considering that in the early days of American railroading, many clergymen called the railroad a tool of the Devil-running on Sundays when man ought to be engaged in worship and rest. We both got a good laugh out of that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:01 pm 

Also, the chapel car missionaries brought the ministry to probably as many railroaders as they did settlers. Whenever the cars were scheduled to be at division points or shops, they would put on additional services to permit railroad employees to attend. They would pass out flyers to the workers, listing the service times and to "come as you are".

In one missionary's notes, he said "that there is one man who attends every morning service, but he must leave before the end in order to sound the noon shift whistle, as he is the stationary engine's engineer". Another railroader who had long been away from the church, commented to a missionary that "you have brought the church to me". The railroads strongly supported the work of the chapel cars, as the benefits that they brought to the communities they visited flowed over to the railroad men of those communities.

Some years ago, a wonderful book titled "This Train is Bound for Glory" was published. It provided a very detailed, researched history of all of the chapel cars that served in the United States and itineraries of each car during its service life. That book is now out of print, but still available on the secondary market. Some years ago, I saw a 7.5 inch gauge detailed model of chapel car Grace offered for sale on a live steamer website. It sold for something like $15,000!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

You may want to look at some of the social writings of American theologian Horace Bushnell. He advocated for railroads, as a way for the working class to be able to get out of town… Similarly he advocated for public parks.

Here is a link to Chapel car history…. https://www.chapelcarsofamerica.net/ At least two are preserved.

Finally, per ICC rules, Railroads could issue passes for free transportation to members of the Clergy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:43 pm 

That is interesting! And it is a free online book as well!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:07 pm 

The railroads could issue free passes for the clergy, however the ICC did prohibit the railroads from providing free transportation for chapel cars after WWI. The requirement that the religious societies pay for transportation of the cars, coupled with the rapid development of improved highways led the societies to increasingly replace chapel cars with motor chapels that could provide similar services at much lower costs. Most importantly, a single missionary could operate the motor chapel-chapel cars always required two missionaries.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:21 pm 

Thank you Alan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:18 pm 

For those interested in starting research on the chapel car "Grace" -- and I'd bet there are several here -- see this page:

http://www.wisconsinhistoricalmarkers.com/2014/08/chapel-car-grace.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:29 pm 

The US RR's did have a special fare for clergy; it was less than the Coach fare but was considered a "Standard" fare (later known as "First Class" after the airlines started using that term), valid in sleeping and parlor cars. It was not accepted on certain limited trains.

Phil Mulligan