It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question About Whistles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:32 pm 

Okay. So, It's been awhile since so last posted on here (I dropped the Fire Up 1401 project, but I'm still planning the Y6B, though I'm going to start small by donating to current restoration projects. Go ahead and laugh...), But I wanted to ask a question about something I've been wondering: On most Railroads, 2 Shorts indicates forward motion, but most of the whistle codes guides I’ve seen online indicate that 2 LONG blasts of the whistle indicate forward motion, and 2 short blasts indicates “any signal not otherwise provided for”. Could anybody clear up why I'm reading one thing, and yet the railroads use a completely separate code for forward motion? Thanks’

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Question About Whistles
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:18 am 

Under NORAC (Northeast Operating Rules Advisory Committee) rules, two short horn sounds are:

Sound: o o

Indication:
1. Acknowledgement of a Stop Signal other than a fixed signal.
2. Acknowledgement of any other signal not otherwise provided for.

NORAC does not use two long sounds.

NORAC DOES use:

— o

Approaching Roadway Workers or their equipment on or near the track, regardless of any whistle prohibitions. After this initial warning, sound two short whistle signals intermittently until the head end of train has passed the Roadway Workers or their equipment.

Outside the Northeast, under the General Code of Operating Rules, two long sounds and two short sounds have separate meanings:

(3) — — Release brakes. Proceed.
(4) o o Acknowledgment of any signal not otherwise provided for.
(8) — o Approaching men or equipment on or near the track, regardless of any whistle prohibitions. After this initial warning, sound whistle signal (4) intermittently until the head end of train has passed the men or equipment.

A 1954 Reading Company rulebook is similar to the current General Code:

— — Release brakes. Proceed.
o o Answer to any signal not otherwise provided for.

However, RDG used a grade crossing whistle signal ( — — o — ) "When passing trackman's portable whistle sign"

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:57 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Okay. So, It's been awhile since so last posted on here (I dropped the Fire Up 1401 project, but I'm still planning the Y6B, though I'm going to start small by donating to current restoration projects. Go ahead and laugh...), But I wanted to ask a question about something I've been wondering: On most Railroads, 2 Shorts indicates forward motion, but most of the whistle codes guides I’ve seen online indicate that 2 LONG blasts of the whistle indicate forward motion, and 2 short blasts indicates “any signal not otherwise provided for”. Could anybody clear up why I'm reading one thing, and yet the railroads use a completely separate code for forward motion? Thanks’

The short answer to your question is, the engineer is taking a shortcut. Two short tugs on the whistle cord is easy when it's time to move. Further, can you imagine what it would be like in the cab, or on the ground near the locomotive, if the engineer blew two longs on the whistle every-single-time the locomotive moved forward? Loss of hearing is a real issue with engine crews.

I hope that helps.

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 pm 

An engineer can respond to any command with two shorts. It’s the same as saying “I understand.” I’ve seen it used when making a shove move to acknowledge the conductor’s radio communications when no response is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:20 pm 

As far as I know no rulebook specified the length of a long whistle signal versus a short one. I'm sure rules examiners had their own opinions. Before there were radios, whistle signals were necessary communications. The two toots for the shove move told everybody on the ground the train would be moving.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:09 pm 

Brian Wise wrote:
The short answer to your question is, the engineer is taking a shortcut. Two short tugs on the whistle cord is easy when it's time to move. Further, can you imagine what it would be like in the cab, or on the ground near the locomotive, if the engineer blew two longs on the whistle every-single-time the locomotive moved forward? Loss of hearing is a real issue with engine crews.

Ditto that 100%. During operating events, we use two shorts forward, three shorts back. Saves our ears in the cab as well as others’ ears close to the locomotive. When switching any other time, we go sans horn using the bell to signal the intent to move along with radios.