It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Union Pacific 3985 Is Indeed Retired
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 pm 

I am a Union Pacific Steam Club member. In their most recent update, emailed to me today, I read the following sad news:

"The Challenger No. 3985 Will Remain Officially Retired

Since work was completed on No. 4014 people have asked about the fate of The Challenger No. 3985.

The short answer: There are no plans to restore No. 3985. Many years of hard operation have resulted in the locomotive requiring a complete frame-up restoration similar to what was needed to make No. 4014 operational. Historically, Union Pacific's steam program has had two steam locomotives on its roster, and that count will remain the same moving forward.

No. 3985 last operated in "regular" train service in 1957. It was retired in 1962 and stored in the roundhouse in Cheyenne, Wyoming, until 1975 when it was placed on display near the Cheyenne depot. A group of Union Pacific employees volunteered their services to restore the locomotive to running condition in 1981.

Where No. 3985 will ultimately reside is still in question, but it's safe to say the locomotive will remain officially retired from service."

Well, it was fun, UP 3985. :-(