It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Climax at Cass!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 am 

Of the 3 basic types of geared steam locomotives, the Climax is by far the rarest, with just 3 operating examples in the world, as of today. Recently, the folks at the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad (the operator of the Cass Scenic Railroad State Park) completed the restoration of Moore-Keppel Climax #6, a 1919-vintage, 70-ton, 3-truck, Class B Climax. To celebrate the roll-out of this rare piece of history, Trains Magazine organized a photo charter during the first weekend in November, giving about 50 photographers, including myself, an opportunity to photograph this engine with both log trains and hopper trains, both of which are historically accurate for this particular engine.

Built originally for the Moore-Keppel & Company in 1919, this engine served the lumbering operation as their #6 for about 20 years, before the owners closed up shop. She was then sold to the Middlefork Railroad in Ellamore, WV, where she hauled coal for another 20 years, also as #6, finally retiring in 1960. She was sold to the State of West Virginia in 1970 for use at the Cass Scenic Railroad State Park, but alas, she was severely damaged in an engine shop fire before she could be restored, and she then spent several decades as a basket case. In the early 2000s, the Mountain State Railroad & Logging Historical Society began a serious restoration effort with volunteer labor. The process proceeded slowly but steadily over the next decade, and was ultimately taken over and completed by the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad. Although the restored engine carries the Moore-Keppel lettering, she's numbered 9, which is her new number in the Cass Scenic Railroad line-up. With 2 other engines numbered 6, I'm thinking that the D&GVRR folks were probably figuring that a 3rd #6 would just be confusing.

For those who are interested, I've created an album of images from the 2-day charter, which featured both the Climax and Shay #5, the oldest locomotive on the property. Have a peek and see what she looks like. For a small 70-tonner, this engine puts on quite a smoke and steam show. She's LOUD too!

To the photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/112261457@N06/albums/72157711730004111

/Kevin Madore

Last edited by KevinM on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Climax at Cass!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:32 am 

All,

Apparently, I've created a bit of controversy on another message board with my statement that there were only 3 operable Climax Locomotives left in the world. I've edited my original post just slightly to change the word "operable" to "operating." After consulting with a friend who has direct knowledge of the one loco that was a question in my mind, I now believe that there are 4 such engines which could technically operate legally, but I still maintain that only 3 such engines are actually in operation.

Here's the run-down on the engines which are operating or have operated in the last few years.

First, the runners:

1. Moore-Keppel Climax #6 (now Cass Scenic Railroad #9), Cass Scenic Railroad, Cass, WV, 70-ton, 3-truck, coal-burner

2. Beebe River Lumber Co. Climax #6 at Clark's Trading Post in Lincoln, NH, 50-ton, 2-truck, wood-burner

3. Puffing Billy Climax #1694, Puffing Billy Railway, Melbourne, Australia, narrow-gauge, 2-truck, wood-burner

The rest and their situations:

1. Hillcrest Lumber #10, Mt. Rainier Railroad & Museum, Mineral, WA, 70-ton, 3-truck, oil-burner. I'm told this engine still has some time left on its Form 4, but has not operated in several years. When I was last there in 2014, the railroad was no longer doing FRA Annual Inspections on it.

2. Moore-Keppel Climax #3, Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad, Durbin, WV. 55-ton, 2-truck, coal-burner. This engine has not operated in at least 3 years and sits tarped over in the yard at Cass, awaiting restoration and a 1,472-SDI. The engine is missing some parts. It was replaced by Cass Heisler #6 on the Durbin Rocket operation.

Hope that clarifies everything for folks. Obviously, if someone has first-hand knowledge of any errors in the above information, please PM me and let's talk.

Thanks,

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:36 am 

There's a 2-truck class A Climax that is operating in Clarksburg, WV. It was home-built in 1974 and is 3-foot gauge. The "Surviving Steam Locomotive" web site also lists a 2-truck standard gauge Climax at Roots of Motive Power in Willits, CA as "operational".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgEciJ ... ZxPimgeimg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:37 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
There's a 2-truck class A Climax that is operating in Clarksburg, WV. It was home-built in 1974 and is 3-foot gauge. The "Surviving Steam Locomotive" web site also lists a 2-truck standard gauge Climax at Roots of Motive Power in Willits, CA as "operational".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgEciJ ... ZxPimgeimg

The one at Willits, CA is the former Pacific Lbr. Co. 38 which last operated for them out of Yager Creek near Carlotta. She was purchased by Bert Rudolph who ran a gunsmithing business in Willits. The move to Willits over the NWP was on her own wheels.

This 60 ton engine did steam for a few years at the Roots of Motive Power site in Willits.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:21 am 

Has anybody seen whether Cass has gotten #9 smoothed out a bit. She just didnt sound right in the videos I have seen on youtube. Especially when compared to the 2 truck that was running the Durban Rocket trips till her boiler time ran out. She sound smooth, timing was spot on. Cass #9 clanks and bangs, timing doesnt sound right either. Curious if they have gotten her fine tuned yet? Last time I saw that engine in person was the in the dead line as a rusted burnt out hulk in 1991. Its incredible she runs again. Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:34 am 

artfull dodger wrote:
Has anybody seen whether Cass has gotten #9 smoothed out a bit. She just didnt sound right in the videos I have seen on youtube. Especially when compared to the 2 truck that was running the Durban Rocket trips till her boiler time ran out. She sound smooth, timing was spot on. Cass #9 clanks and bangs, timing doesnt sound right either. Curious if they have gotten her fine tuned yet? Last time I saw that engine in person was the in the dead line as a rusted burnt out hulk in 1991. Its incredible she runs again. Mike

You may want to check and see when those videos were made. If the foliage was green, they were likely made around Labor Day, which was the first time they ran the engine at a special event organized by the railroad. I believe they have been working on it a fair bit since, and during our November event, the timing sounded great. It still makes a ringing noise when running by at low speed/power, but I have heard other geared engines do that also.

BTW, Climax #9 is only being run at special events. Right now, it has the turret from #3 and is limited to 150 psi.....so they don't take her up the hill. Also, she's a 70-tonner, and not really capable of handling regular season trains.

WRT Climax #3, it is my understanding that she never had a Form 4 inspection and was never compliant with the 49 CFR Part 230 rules. Because the Durbin line is still insular, she could operate under a State Boiler Certificate. The engine was taken out of service about 3 years ago, ostensibly to get a Form 4 done. There may have been other reasons, I just don't know. Heisler #6 was trucked over to Durbin and has been the power on that line ever since. Climax #3 sits tarped over on the deadline at Cass. I'm told it's next in line for the shop, probably because it is owned by the operator (Durbin & Greenbrier Valley RR), not the State of West Virginia, like most of the other engines there.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm 

I listened to one of the videos from start to finish and would agree that then, the 9 was sounding really 3 legged and out of time.
Nonetheless, so glad to see her back in operation. I sent them a donation back in 2015 after an April visit. This visit included a nice tour by one of the members in the shop.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 pm 

Does anyone know if the intention is to change out the steam turret to run a higher pressure and get up the hill, or has the old gurl been relegated to flatland service only?

"Right now, it has the turret from #3 and is limited to 150 psi.....so they don't take her up the hill"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:29 pm 

leward wrote:
Does anyone know if the intention is to change out the steam turret to run a higher pressure and get up the hill, or has the old gurl been relegated to flatland service only?

"Right now, it has the turret from #3 and is limited to 150 psi.....so they don't take her up the hill"

This is not meant to be critical of the restoration, but I can't imagine trying to operate
a locomotive on that particular profile with 25% of the normal boiler pressure unavailable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:43 pm 

leward wrote:

Folks, as I noted in one or more of the photo captions, the intent is to build a new turret for this engine. They just ran out of time during the restoration and had a couple of events scheduled, including ours, that pretty much required the engine to be ready to go. So, they borrowed the turret and the stack off the #3.....which was derelict anyway, and completed the engine with those parts. In the off season, they will work on fully finishing the job.

I think I also noted that this Climax engine was never intended to be a regular duty locomotive on the normal tourist trains.....at least not up Cass Hill, although it might be a player on the Durbin line. At 70 tons, it is much like Shay #4. Good for special events and as a helper, but not enough tractive effort to handle a fully-loaded tourist consist going to Whittaker or Bald Knob.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:01 pm 

The latest issue of TRAINS magazine has an excellent and informative article on the restoration of Cass Climax #9.