It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horseshoe Curve viewing area question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:32 pm 

Recently went to Horseshoe Curve this weekend for the first time in about 6 years and the other trip was about 11 years ago.I loved the trip and have no complaints, but some things have been bugging my memory.

1. Didn't the incline railway used to run every 15 minutes instead of 30? I figured it probably had to do with saving money on maintenance. This wasn't too much of a bother, although I could see it leading to issues with the other 2 concerns.

2. Weren't there port-o-poddies (I think 1) and a pop machine at the top of the hill near the station area? I don't remember needing to leave the top to use the restroom and/or get a drink.

Highly recommend the place either way, it's always a pleasure to visit Horseshoe Curve and Altoona, PA!

Post subject: Re: Horseshoe Curve viewing area question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am 

I’ve never seen a port-a-John or pop machine at the viewing area in my years of visiting the Curve. As for the 30 minute funicular schedule, it has become a bit of a maintenance problem as it’s aged, so less runs means less wear.

My issue at the Curve- Norfolk Southern quit cutting back trees and brush. The sight lines are terrible and get worse every year.