It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: when does one go from a railfan to a "Foamer"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:52 pm 

It may be an incredibly stupid question, but what is the line? I mean I have seen the videos of the guy that is freaking out over spotting and video taping heritage units, and the infamous BL2 horn video... (I cant help but think it is all an act, I mean it has to be right?)

So I ask all of you, what is the line?
Ages ago I was a fiend for anything geared or logging railroad related, not to mention having a passion for the old MCC tourist rr, and folling the goings ons with their former engines... And even more currently after moving to PGH from NJ the 643... (I may have gotten a bit foamy over that one as I wanted to volunteer so badly to help out or have anything to do with it, prior to realizing that it was most likely going to sit for a long long time) I would have volunteered at Cass, or even the EBT, but it doesnt look like much is going to happen with the EBT, and that volunteer work at Cass may not exist.. I could be wrong...

So what is the line between fan and foamer?

Post subject: Re: when does one go from a railfan to a "Foamer"
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:43 am 

There's a big difference between enthusiasm and foaming. In my experience, in no particular order, true foamers:

1. Don't join or support - are only there to shoot images.
2. Can be rude, pushy and/or put themselves or others in danger to get "the shot".
3. Are traffic hazards chasing trains.
4. Will gleefully tell you you're doing something wrong (when you're not).
5. Are fountains spewing "facts", both true and untrue, and are much too willing to share with anyone within earshot.
6. Think they're immune from trespassing.

Typically, fans and enthusiasts like to learn. Foamers "know it all".

IMHO, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm 

I think jayrod makes some fair points. I've also seen the label applied to those who are more interested in the cosmetics of a locomotive like livery, horns, whistles etc. and have less interest in operations or the mechanical side of railroads- which I believe is fine if not in excess.

To answer BaronVonYinzer's comment on the BL-2 video, my understanding was that video was done as guerrilla marketing for the SNC, as a parody of his genuine heritage unit videos.

Last edited by Tyler H. on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:45 pm 

I think jayrod's humble opinion is right on the money. To me, railfans pursue and promote the hobby in a responsible and beneficial manner. Foamers are out to grab everything they can for themselves regardless of the consequences.

BTW, could you swing by the 643 and see what's going on with it? Is it being prepared to move, is it a pile of scrap or was this whole ebay auction thing a hoax?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:43 am 

jayrod wrote:
There's a big difference between enthusiasm and foaming. In my experience, in no particular order, true foamers:

2. Can be rude, pushy and/or put themselves or others in danger to get "the shot".
5. Are fountains spewing "facts", both true and untrue, and are much too willing to share with anyone within earshot.

IMHO, of course.

I have been guilty of number one. The reason I am not a "joiner" is my myriad experiences with numbers 2 through 6 at trackside over the years.

I'll add a number 7: Bad breath, body odor and various other hygienic deficiencies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 pm 

jayrod wrote:

IMHO, of course.

I do get overexcited when I see ANY train, but I would NEVER do any of that, except for #5 partially, as I only talk facts, and I don't do it with anyone within earshot. I just tend to ramble on when I'm alone.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:38 pm 

Tyler H. wrote:
I think jayrod makes some fair points. I've also seen the label applied to those who are more interested in the cosmetics of a locomotive like livery, horns, whistles etc. and have less interest in operations or the mechanical side of railroads- which I believe is fine if not in excess.

To answer BaronVonYinzer's comment on the BL-2 video, my understanding was that video was done as gurreila marketing for the SNC, as a parody of his genuine heritage unit videos.

If you look at the other post on the Interchange, it's still there for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 pm 

Charlie wrote:

BTW, could you swing by the 643 and see what's going on with it? Is it being prepared to move, is it a pile of scrap or was this whole ebay auction thing a hoax?

Yep I can take a swing over to the rocks and give an update to what was posted on the 17th... getting close to the end of the month now. one would think if things were going to happen they would be underway or staked out in some sort of fashion for a move. Hope not to get to frothy...