It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bicester Military Railway, UK.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:49 pm 

It seems as though this railway is all but abandoned. It appears that way when travelling through the site. If anyone knows any better, it would be good to hear from you. I have seen pictures on the internet, with notes about the railway, which say that it was last used in 2014.

I only came across the railway by accident as I explain in the linked post below:

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/20 ... ry-railway

I have been aware of the Longmoor Military Railway for some time now. I knew nothing of the Bicester Military Railway until my wife and I had part of a weekend in the area. We were travelling along the M40 and using Satnav and we noticed an interesting area off to the East of the motorway which was just visible on the Satnav. Our initial thought was that there might have been some opencast workings in the area.

Much of the site has been sold off. The northern half of Graven Hill Depot is now an estate of plots for self build homes! (https://www.gravenhill.co.uk)

Post subject: Re: Bicester Military Railway, UK.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 am 

Very recently, I have been reading a book about the Bicester Military Railway which was published in 1992. It was published by the Oxford Publishing Company and is widely available to buy second-hand. It is worth a read. ...

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/10/12/bi ... ook-review

Quote:
The Bicester Military Railway. ...

This book, written by E.R. Lawton and Major M.W. Sackett in 1992, [1] gives a comprehensive history of the Bicester site which extends from the original concept to the date of publication of the book.

In the 21st century, large areas of the complex have been given over to civilian use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As I recall, it's pronounced "BEESE-ter," not what some Yanks may say--"BYE-ses-ter".....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:28 pm 

Yes, that is right! Perhaps more like "Bister". ...