It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hesston - Henry Ford - Crossroads - EnterTRAINment
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:45 pm 

Thought I'd share a great Memorial Day train travel trip report.

Started the weekend out on Saturday with a stop at Hesston Steam Museum in Indiana. Memoria Day weekend is there opening weekend so they bring out extra trains and also run the steam powered sawmill. When I arrived they were operating the Czech. Republic 24" gauge tank engine on the dual gauge line, the Stetson locomotive #1 on the 14" gauge, and a lovely NYC Hudson locomotive with NYC passengers cars on the 71/2" gauge track. As the day went on the Brookfield Zoo 242 locomotive would come out on the dual gauge, and the Kiddieland "Challenger" Locomotive would come out on the 14" gauge. All in all that's 5 operating coal burning steam locomotives plus a steam powered tractor that was wandering around and the fantastic steam powered sawmill operation.

The new "Glacier Pass" was up and running, this cuts down the grade and lowers the track about 5', this makes it much easier for the 24" gauge locomotives to make it up and around the loop. (The 36" gauge Shay that also operates the loop, had no trouble making the old grade of course).

Hesston has invested in a lovely Soda Fountain / Restroom building. Having large, modern, clean restrooms should be a priority for any organization and Hesston really delivers. I also enjoyed a milkshake served in a real glass by historically uniformed servers. The food service is run by an outside catering company that does a good job. Loved the historic soda shop / ice cream vibe.

Moved on the next day to the Henry Ford to enjoy their Civil War Remembrance / Memorial Day Weekend activities. I love the henry ford / Greenfield Village so much and this event just reassured me of that. The railroad was operating the Torch Lake locomotive (looked like a brand new engine after it's winter rebuild) and the Edison 4-4-0. Always great to see and hear 2 steam trains operating around the village. The village had Civil War era camps in all sections and presented Cavalry demonstrations, and Cannon Firing demonstrations on their event field. Everyone needs to be studying Greenfield Village in how to present history, and how to plan events. They are a class act all the way around.

Next up I went further north in Michigan to the Crossroads Village to see US Army #152 in operation. Simply beautiful locomotive. Loved Crossroads village and I enjoyed seeing their steam powered sawmill in operation as well as the steam powered cider mill operate. The Grist Mill, and classic Carousel were also a treat. What I didn't realize about Crossroads Village / Huckleberry Railroad is how much of a "Real" railroad they run. It's a full FRA deal since they have public road crossings. They were running a 12 car train and they do some pretty good 15-20 mph clips on the old mainline. Lots of fun... loved the old wooden coaches that felt more like real narrow gauge coaches than the ones in Durango (no school bus seats here!).

On Tuesday I went back to Greenfield Village and the museum.

And finally on Wednesday I stopped by EnterTRAINment Junction in Cincinnatti to see the world's largest indoor train display. Crazy cool place. Huge G-Scale layout that is super detailed and features trains operating in various time-periods. By far the most impressive layout I've ever seen (but my favorite is still the choo-choo barn I think!). The place feels so professional... super nice gift shops, professional signage, the whole place is very polished and you can tell it's run by people who get it.

All in all a great Memorial Day Weekend....

Post subject: Re: Hesston - Henry Ford - Crossroads - EnterTRAINment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 am 

Sounds you had a fun Memorial Day Weekend!

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry