It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tweetsie Railroad: What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:48 pm 

Alright, So I'm creating this post in response to one of my pervious posts. We got to talking about my favorite place on Planet Earth, Tweetsie Railroad. So, I wanted to ask: What is your opinion on the place?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Tweetsie Railroad: What's your opinion?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:57 pm 

From a railfan perspective - Tweetsie is great and often overlooked. Their railfan weekend is a steal. They run photo-runby specials, double-headers, offer shop tours, and it's all for the regular admission price. Some of the best run-by's I've seen in my life were at Tweetsie!

As I mentioned, Tweetsie is frozen in time in an era where Cowboys and Indians were all the rage. There is something charming about how the place hasn't changed... but also something a bit odd. (For those who have not visited, it's not old or run-down, the place is kept up very well!).

I do think providing more of a historical attraction would appeal to the older travelers visiting Blue Ridge Parkway National Park right next door. Just offer a more historical train ride, focusing on the days of the Tweetsie Railroad. Offer more historical craftsmen, and maybe a small history museum about the days gone by. You could still do the stops and a little show, just make the show a bit more historically accurate, maybe partner with the local Native Americans to present a historically accurate American Indian Village. And maybe at the first stop, recreate one of the towns that the ETWNC served.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:00 pm 

Showing my bias here: my favorite railroad site is the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's Whiteside Tunnel through Missionary Ridge. I've many fond memories of railroading there and have walked through that tunnel on numerous occasions. So much history occurred there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I do think providing more of a historical attraction would appeal to the older travelers visiting Blue Ridge Parkway National Park right next door. Just offer a more historical train ride, focusing on the days of the Tweetsie Railroad. Offer more historical craftsmen, and maybe a small history museum about the days gone by. You could still do the stops and a little show, just make the show a bit more historically accurate, maybe partner with the local Native Americans to present a historically accurate American Indian Village. And maybe at the first stop, recreate one of the towns that the ETWNC served.

and the very fact that they haven't done this says volumes about how much money would be gained from such a venture. Tweetsie is a small Carowinds or Busch Gardens/Six Flags aimed at young children. Or, in more local terms, a far better managed Ghost Town. The idea of Tweetsie being a tourist railroad died in the late 50s when they started adding attractions to make the place financially solvent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 am 

Oh I wasn’t suggesting Tweetsie abandon kids altogether. I was suggesting they offer some additional crafts and historic areas to also appeal to the national park crowd, the people without young kids that I see in the town of Blowing Rock.

But I also agree with “why fix it if it’s not broken” and the Tweetsie formula seems to still work for them which is great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Oh I wasn’t suggesting Tweetsie abandon kids altogether. I was suggesting they offer some additional crafts and historic areas to also appeal to the national park crowd, the people without young kids that I see in the town of Blowing Rock.

But I also agree with “why fix it if it’s not broken” and the Tweetsie formula seems to still work for them which is great.

Tweetsie DOES appeal to the Railfan crowds too. There's the railfan weekend they host every year, and I haven't been able to attend, despite DESPERATELY wanting to. Tweetsie recognizes the importance of their history to the area. And personally, I prefer Tweetsie to Carowinds, not just for the train, but more the more themed, wholesome experience I can only get at Tweetsie Railroad.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:54 pm 

I'm a huge fan because it houses ET&WNC # 12. My first real memory as a child was having one of the 'indians' running up with Tomahawk. I ducked and when I looked up, he was gone. I was likely younger than 3 at the time.
Haven't been back since 2005 but I'd love to someday soon.
The park is very clean, well-run and the employees are great. It's a good experience with plenty to see, even for the non-train fan types.
The next time I go, I intend on riding the train all day or until my wife says enough is enough...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:50 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Tweetsie DOES appeal to the Railfan crowds too. There's the railfan weekend they host every year, and I haven't been able to attend, despite DESPERATELY wanting to. Tweetsie recognizes the importance of their history to the area. And personally, I prefer Tweetsie to Carowinds, not just for the train, but more the more themed, wholesome experience I can only get at Tweetsie Railroad.

Oh yeah the railfan weekend is great. Probably the best hidden secret since you get runbys, doubleheading, etc. all for the price of a regular admission ticket.

Was only sharing my thoughts and ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Oh yeah the railfan weekend is great. Probably the best hidden secret since you get runbys, doubleheading, etc. all for the price of a regular admission ticket.

Was only sharing my thoughts and ideas.

Thank You. I am aware of that, but I was simply sharing my opinion as well. My apologies if I seemed a bit rude.