It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could Steam be returned to Stone Mountain, GA?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm 

Okay, so, this is a completely hypothetical question, as I am simply curious what your thoughts on the matter at hand is (Like that post on the California Zephyr I did, where a user, assumed I was trying to cause a fuss over the purchase of those cars by the Cuyahoga Valley Railroad, when in reality I was just trying to share the news...) Either way, I was thinking about the Stone Mountain Railroad recently, and I was curious, could we steam EVER return to the railroad for operation? My current answer is: Not likely. Stone Mountain has sold off ALL of it's steamers to new homes, so they would have to purchase a new locomotive for the railroad, and most places would probably NOT care to sell their precious babies off to a new owner. However, there is 1 hope: Image As you are probably aware, Stone Mountain is owned by Herschend Family Entertainment, who are also the owners of Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. This 2-8-0 (#107) currently sits outside of Dollywood, and is standard gauge, so if any engine could return steam to Stone Mountain, than this one could.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Last edited by tweetsie12 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Could Steam be returned to Stone Mountain, GA?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm 

There is absolutely nothing in the past 40 years of history at Stone Mountain that suggests they have any intention whatsoever in bringing steam back. Given what management did to previously operational steam engines, no steam is by far the best option available.

Arguing hypothetical situations that aren't going to happen really doesn't do anything beneficial for anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:37 pm 

Well to be fair... what happened to Steam at Stone Mountain had nothing to do with Stone Mountain's Current management. As Tweetsie mentioned, Herschend is now the operator of Stone Mountain and they have steam at both Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. That being said, I'm not sure what the contract with the State of Georgia and Herschend allows them to do, or how the money gets divided up so it may not be a call Herschend gets to make anyway.

Moving into the hypothetical... there are plenty of locomotives out there should Stone Mountain decide to operate Steam. That doesn't mean those options would be cheap, but the options are there.

One of the operating engines at Age of Steam Roundhouse could potentially be available for lease. Are any of the Reader Engines ready to go? Where there is a will, there is a way!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:52 pm 

Why would you do that to a steam locomotive?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Well to be fair... what happened to Steam at Stone Mountain had nothing to do with Stone Mountain's Current management. As Tweetsie mentioned, Herschend is now the operator of Stone Mountain and they have steam at both Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. That being said, I'm not sure what the contract with the State of Georgia and Herschend allows them to do, or how the money gets divided up so it may not be a call Herschend gets to make anyway.

Back to the previous point, there is nothing current management has done that suggests they have any interest whatsoever in steam operations at the park. Disposing of every piece of steam on the property doesn't bode well to a change in policy either. Maybe a discussion to have in ten years or so, but I'm not holding my breath.
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 pm 

Oh I agree that I am not expecting to see it anytime soon if ever. But stranger things have happened!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:

an attempt at saving money under the theory that 95% of the people wouldn't know the difference and the remainder wouldn't matter. Sad thing is that Six Flags did the same thing.

See picture below of the Stone Mountain dieselization....
Attachment:
Stone Mountain Railroad 1987 SMALL.jpg
Stone Mountain Railroad 1987 SMALL.jpg [ 235.51 KiB | Viewed 9736 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 pm 

Kevin Gilliam wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:

an attempt at saving money under the theory that 95% of the people wouldn't know the difference and the remainder wouldn't matter. Sad thing is that Six Flags did the same thing.

See picture below of the Stone Mountain dieselization....
Attachment:
Stone Mountain Railroad 1987 SMALL.jpg

Thank you so much for posting that photo! I have been trying to find a photo of the infamous "baggage car" for years!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:49 pm 

Baggage car? Looks more like an oversize tender.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
Baggage car? Looks more like an oversize tender.

Indeed.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm 

I live in california so have no connection at all with the park. I will point out however that very few amusement parts still run ant steam locomotives. Disney World just closed there line for two years; I doubt we will see those locomotives run again.
All of the Six Flags over ... have replaced their steamlocomotives with steam outline locos.

The only amusement parks that I know of, that run steam on a regular basis, is the Cedar Point Park in Ohio and the other original Disney Land.

Happily, there are a few tourist railroads and lots of museums that are still in steam. Up above is a listing of projects that may steam in 2019.

Ted 66

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 pm 

ted66 wrote:
Disney World just closed there line for two years; I doubt we will see those locomotives run again.

Uhhh, sir you are very misinformed.

ted66 wrote:
All of the Six Flags over ... have replaced their steamlocomotives with steam outline locos.

I believe Six Flags Over Texas still runs steam.

ted66 wrote:
The only amusement parks that I know of, that run steam on a regular basis, is the Cedar Point Park in Ohio and the other original Disney Land.

Also include Dollywood, Tweetsie, Silver Dollar City, Knott's Berry Farm, Silverwood, and Edaville (kinda),

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm 

The above post couldn’t be further from the truth...

Partial list of Theme parks that currently run steam -

Knotts Berry Farm
Silverwood Park
Dollywood
Silver Dollar city
Disneyland
Disney World
Busch Gardens Tampa*
Busch Gardens Williamsburg*
Cedar Point
Kings Island*

And...
Six Flags St. Louis*
Six Flags Texas both still run steam.

I put an asterisk* by the crown locomotives. All of the others are running historic steam locos. Pretty sure I missed some.

Disney World is currently rebuilding the Walter to have the modifications that was just put on the Lilly Belle. The plan is very much to keep steam running at Disney and in fact steam is still runnig at Disney World, you just have take the railroad tour to see it and the ride is very short. Ha.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Disney World is currently rebuilding the Walter to have the modifications that was just put on the Lilly Belle. The plan is very much to keep steam running at Disney and in fact steam is still runnig at Disney World, you just have take the railroad tour to see it and the ride is very short. Ha.

Amen!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 pm 

To foam just a second, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a very nice grade; You can't see the train well from the location, but there is a bridge over the ROW near the top of the grade. Add in a little rain with a loaded train and you have a very nice sound show... if you don't mind the screams from a near by coaster, but still. It was a pleasant surprise after a long day of hauling the kids around the park.

Bob