It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adult Chistmas timeframe steam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:17 pm 

Currently are there any steam events in the eastern half of the united states that dont focus on Santa/Polar Express/Children's events? We don't mind christmas theme but we would prefer to not be inundated with elves and singalongs and the jolly old fat man. The fiance and myself were gifted extra vacation time from her employer and I can make my own schedule. She wants to take a long weekend and take a nice quiet ride (preferably steam powered) and look at some scenery. I've looked at most of the usual subjects and besides Strasburg (we have now done that quite a few times although the christmas dinner sounds like a great time) I can't find anything. Is these something Im overlooking?

Post subject: Re: Adult Chistmas timeframe steam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:01 pm 

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum has several adult Christmas train options, including a dinner train. Just finished the last weekend of the year for steam however.
tvrail.com

Post subject: Re: Adult Chistmas timeframe steam
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 am 

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad runs steam on their Tuckasegee River excursions this week and the week of Christmas.

Durango operates the wonderful Cascade Canyon Winter train.

I agree with the lack of choices for winter steam for adults / older kids. It seems most railroads choose to create an experience aimed at the pre-school age range and leave everyone else out. Certainly those trains are popular, so can't really blame them, but it does leave alot of us out!