It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who Said that Trains are an Old Man's Hobby?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:07 pm 

Well, I'm an old timer now but was 16 when I first started railroading. Bob, I think your comment is very much on target. Places that actively welcome and encourage young people to participate turn out more successful than those that put out hostile vibes to new members.

One thing that changed at TVRM while I was there was the volunteer policy. We had young people who were underage (under 16) who were eager to volunteer in non-operations functions, but the railroad did not have any policy in place to address volunteers that young. Fortunately, the Board of Directors decided to permit adult volunteers in good standing to sponsor younger members. They created a policy and that netted us some enthusiastic youths, some of whom stuck with the volunteer program and went on to become paid seasonal employees. One of the guys I knew was what we would call an "at risk" teen. Horrible home situation. He was the first youth sponsored. He went on to become a seasonal employee-now he's a licensed engineer and a deputy sheriff. Being a railroader kept him on the straight and narrow. We also permitted volunteers and staff to work with the local Boy Scouts Council to provide Railroading Merit Badge opportunities. In 2003 we actually hosted a District level Camporee with three or four different troops from the area. Activities like these generate the volunteers and supporters of tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 pm 

Freshly 23, had a passion for trains all my life. I was born in the town of Salida, Colorado, which was a major interchange point between standard and narrow gauge trackage for the D&RGW. The line shut down shortly after I was born, but my father recalls me quieting down from being fussy whenever a train went past. Even as an infant, I was listening to the iron horse calling my name! I've worked under a few volunteer organizations and applied to many positions for a mix of railroads. So far, no luck. But mark my words... one day!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:01 am 

Checking in here at 25. It's. Just always been apart of my life and the majority of my family has worked for a company at one point or another myself included.