It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Cuyahoga Valley Railroad now owns “California Zephyr
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:07 am 

I see no reason why we shouldn't applaud CVRR for taking on this rolling project - it could give us all the opportunity to relive riding the classic CZ in Ohio, which is far better than not having it at all while the cars rot elsewhere. An expression of gratitude and support rather than territorially-based reaction seems more appropriate to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 am 

This thread further establishes why there is not a lot of young blood in rail preservation...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:29 am 

First of all, it is great that they're giving it a good home, and that the cars will be well cared for and continue to operate. It's becoming much harder for PV's to run, and it appears it will only get worse.

Is this better than, for example MRL buying it and using it for their executive train? Probably, since while it would be well cared for, that would mean most folks would never get to ride it.

Were there other options that might have placed the cars in an environment that more closely resembles where they ran? Sure, Grand Canyon Railway, the Royal Gorge Route and Rio Grande Scenic Railway come to mind as places that might have worked well. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's unfortunate that one of those operations couldn't find a home for them. Part of preservation is showing the conditions that the cars operated in.

However, just because people are commenting that they wish the cars had remained out west doesn't mean they don't support the CVSR. Obviously they came up with the best offer, and they've saved the cars. Maybe not the ideal solution, but a good one none the less.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 am 

This discussion, and that of Amtrak's more restrictive policies in general, again points out how we need a "home of our own," and not just for steam operations.

(Actually, we may really need several "residences!")

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41074

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:41 am 

Yes, Bob's thoughts echo mine on the cars.

Hey... I would love to start a "California Zephyr Historical Society" (or does one exist?) and buy up the cars and attempt to run them Denver to Grand Junction ala Rocky Mountaineer. Sadly.. we only have so much time in life and I didn't put that on my top priority list. But that doesn't make it wrong for me to share that dream (as lofty as it might be.. nothing is really impossible now is it? Just takes alot of time. If you invest the time properly, the money will be easy).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:18 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
This thread further establishes why there is not a lot of young blood in rail preservation...

Amen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:25 pm 

Imagine a young (could be Jr. High all the way up to college aged) adult visiting a railroad museum. He has at least a moderate interest in trains... he spots a steam locomotive and says "Oh neat, a steam locomotive from the ABC Railroad. I wish they could get that running!"

Scenario #1 - "Well then why don't YOU buy it and fix it up? I haven't seen your name on a donation check around here before... and besides there is a rotting box car out there that I don't believe you have touched have you?"

Scenario #2 - "Wouldn't that be great? You should come out and volunteer and maybe we can make it happen. We're actually raising funds for the xyz steam locomotive restoration right now, it's going to be the next engine restored to operating condition, but this ABC locomotive needs some cosmetic work, perhaps you could check with our foreman about scheduling a work day for her?"

Hmmm... I wonder which organization is likely to have more volunteers???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm 

I just got my boarding pass from Burt, one of the owners, The train is totally sold out fo9r sleepers and day riders, but I am making a short run from Union Station to Oxnard in Ventura County. I am doing this because it will be the last time I ride this beautiful train, and I wanted to say goodbye to Burt and Al, the owners.
Unfortunately, i will have to get up at 6 AM to take the commuter train, because I do not trust Amtrak to get me there on time with only 30 minutes to spare

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:06 pm 

Termite7 wrote:
Well...I think everybody misses the point. Mr.Tweetsie was trying to get everybodies dander up over the sell of that equipment. And I think my response was spot on...it's none of his business. Period. It was others who wanted to escalete the dscussion and jump on the boo-hoo wagon. And I will say the same to them...if you think this new private buyer is such a problem..then get a loan and buy those cars. Otherwise...what piece of equipment at your museum needs a patch on the roof or a coat of paint? Anybody...?

T7

Mr. Termite, I was simply asking folk's opinions on what they thought on the matter. I wan't trying to make people go crazy over it.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:54 pm 

Well, I did not make it Because of the fire in the area of Northern Calif, the Coast Starlight cannot make it through.
The consist is going via the Southwest Chief to Chicago on Monday. You can imagiine how that has screwed up everyone's plans.
I was thinking about just going to Union Station to see them off, but it would be a 7 hour round trip because of Amtrak schedules.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:34 pm 

Bowmore wrote:
Well, I did not make it Because of the fire in the area of Northern Calif, the Coast Starlight cannot make it through.
The consist is going via the Southwest Chief to Chicago on Monday. You can imagiine how that has screwed up everyone's plans.
I was thinking about just going to Union Station to see them off, but it would be a 7 hour round trip because of Amtrak schedules.

I'm sorry you didn't get to see them.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 am 

Dave wrote:
I see no reason why we shouldn't applaud CVRR for taking on this rolling project - it could give us all the opportunity to relive riding the classic CZ in Ohio, which is far better than not having it at all while the cars rot elsewhere. An expression of gratitude and support rather than territorially-based reaction seems more appropriate to me.

Indeed. Here's to many long years for the California Zephyr!