It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any good resources on the Y6B?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm 

You are correct. It's been years since I have read that issue of TRAINS and had forgotten quite a bit. The T1 also had severe slipping issues I believe so it will be interesting to see how they overcome that problem.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:47 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
Tweetsie, answer this question that I assume has been plaguing everyone’s minds. Why? There is an existing Y6 that could use some attention or a full rebuild. Instead of spending multi-million dollars to build one from scratch, why not spend one to two million to restore and existing one? Even better, why not rebuild the two surviving pieces of articulated NW history, the Y and the A? (2156 and 1218)

I see your point... I guess my thought of building a Y6B does seem a tad unrealistic in that case. In my eyes, there are enough differences to ratify this, but maybe it would be best to start with the A or the Y6A.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:49 pm 

steamfan765 wrote:
I think Tweetsie is probably trying to say spending multi-million dollars to build a new steam locomotive from scratch is to have one that can last longer than the ones that still exists. there are a number of reasons to support to build a brand new steam locomotive are

1) create a more fuel and maintenance friendly locomotive to keep cost down.

2) easier to develop new kinds of fuel for it to run on than trying to convert an existing one.

3) a brand new steam locomotive that is more modern and can be easier and maybe cheaper to insure than a existing one

I thought about making a brand new B&A berk from 20s instead of a modern for many reasons but I'm not going to because many obstetricals that stand in the way. however I have several answers to solve those problem but there's plan B it that fails. it's a thought

I don't know what you thoughts about what I said here I like to know

Never actually thought about that... thanks! I do suppose that's why their building a new T1, so the logic does work!

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm 

p51 wrote:
I have a feeling that Tweetsie12 is this same person saying they're going to buy a Chinese loco and start his own operation: https://www.burnsland.com/disneyrailroa ... =10&t=5383

Dude, that post is a couple years old, and I dropped that concept awhile ago, as I realized that was pretty unrealistic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
Instead of spending multi-million dollars to build one from scratch, why not spend one to two million to restore and existing one? Even better, why not rebuild the two surviving pieces of articulated NW history, the Y and the A? (2156 and 1218)

While the foamery in this concept is mildly entertaining, like the "wouldn't it cool if...?" conversations I had with railfan pals when I was much younger, it gets a little tedious.
I have yet to meet any teenager (regardless of how much money the folks might have) than Roanoke would turn over the 1218 or St Louis for the 2156.
Never mind the millions of dollar that it'd take to rebuild either to operating condition (and that's assuming the Y6 is capable of returning to operation; I don't know of any detailed survey of the locomotive other than getting her ready to be moved dead-in-tow to Virginia), you'd have to find a place to run either of them.
It's not that it can't be done (as Tornado, 611 and 4014 have proven that you should say, "I'll never happen"), more so that a kid isn't going to get it done.
File it under the "Sad but true" heading. I assume these dreams haven't gotten any further than these declarations online?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 pm 

2156 was retired in 1959 by N&W with a cracked frame. Not enough of an issue for a dead in tow move. However, Once under steam and making power it's another matter entirely. A detailed survey would be a must to figure out the extent of the frame issues and how best to rectify the issue.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:10 pm 

p51 wrote:
NS6770fan wrote:
Instead of spending multi-million dollars to build one from scratch, why not spend one to two million to restore and existing one? Even better, why not rebuild the two surviving pieces of articulated NW history, the Y and the A? (2156 and 1218)

While the foamery in this concept is mildly entertaining, like the "wouldn't it cool if...?" conversations I had with railfan pals when I was much younger, it gets a little tedious.
I have yet to meet any teenager (regardless of how much money the folks might have) than Roanoke would turn over the 1218 or St Louis for the 2156.
Never mind the millions of dollar that it'd take to rebuild either to operating condition (and that's assuming the Y6 is capable of returning to operation; I don't know of any detailed survey of the locomotive other than getting her ready to be moved dead-in-tow to Virginia), you'd have to find a place to run either of them.
It's not that it can't be done (as Tornado, 611 and 4014 have proven that you should say, "I'll never happen"), more so that a kid isn't going to get it done.
File it under the "Sad but true" heading. I assume these dreams haven't gotten any further than these declarations online?

Well, I've been doing research for the project, and have found various bits of information and a trainload of blueprints from the N&W historical society through their online archive. And I'm hoping to eventually volunteer at my local railroad museum and later on get myself a job at Tweetsie Railroad to learn some of the skills I need. Now, it'll be a few years before I even begin to form a trust, but I am working on the first steps to “revive the giant.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:59 pm 

Hang in there, best of luck, and always WORK SAFE !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:35 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
Hang in there, best of luck, and always WORK SAFE !!!!

Thanks Mr. King. I promise, I'll try not to have any missing fingers when I'm done.