It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any good resources on the Y6B?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:45 pm 

Hello Everyone! So, I've been doing research to construct the new N&W Y6B, And using various calculations, my estimate of 15 million dollars to build this darn thing turned out to be right. I even have a few blueprints from somebody's failed attempt to build Y6B 2174. Now, I'm curious as to what resources I can use to learn more about the Y6B, so I can do further research. Do y'all have any recommendations?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Last edited by tweetsie12 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Any good resources on the Y6B?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:15 pm 

Your rebuild a Y6B threads are impractical, childish, and boring. Instead of posting nonsense, find a park locomotive to which you can offer some positive energy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Your rebuild a Y6B threads are impractical, childish, and boring. Instead of posting nonsense, find a park locomotive to which you can offer some positive energy.

Geez, Isn't that a little harsh? I can take constructive criticism and use that for my project, but for peat's sake, isn't that a little harsh? Geez...

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:

I totally agree with Richard Glueck. Tweetsie, why don’t you consider something for a moment. Many people have tried to bring back American steam that was scrapped many years ago. Do you see any brand new steam locomotive around the US? NO. These plans have all failed except one which has had the proper recourses, correct people, and a huge fan base to support it. Then T1 trust knows what they are doing and didn’t say, “Let’s rush our way though everything and try to have owner person do all of the spending on the project.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 pm 

The blueprints exist for that locomotive, all of about 300 huge sheets of them. I think I have a list, I'll check and get back in a few days.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:22 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:

Geez, Isn't that a little harsh? I can take constructive criticism and use that for my project, but for peat's sake, isn't that a little harsh? Geez...

Life is harsh. Richard is 100% right. Every single post of yours on restoring various steam engines using your grandfathers allowance are NOT based in reality. AT ALL. And when people (with actual real world experience in steam preservation) decide to be nice and offer you advice on what to do, you ignore it completely and continue creating even MORE nonsense posts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:41 pm 

WHOA NELLY !!!!

Fellas, could I suggest that even if you're right, maybe you might criticize this young man via PM ??? After all, civility has too often been in short supply here at RyPN…. Making somebody else look like a jerk in front of everybody does none of us any good.

NOW, Mr Tweetsie, I'm going to try to offer a little advice, maybe it will help, or not. Whether or not your Y6b idea makes sense or not, it seems fairly obvious that it doesn't have a lot of popular support. You might want to keep that in mind, and not push it too hard. I say that as somebody who wants to see the NdeM 4-8-4 #3028 restored and running, but as one who has almost no support for my cherished idea, and one who does not have 1% of the resources to make it happen. Once in awhile, I speak up on my favorite subject, but only when somebody else shows some kind of interest. I've pretty much given up hope that I'll live to see the day. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

I'm 66 years old, I've been trying to make a contribution to rail preservation for over 50 years, and have enjoyed almost ZERO success. You better get used to it, otherwise you'll just waste your life driving yourself crazy for no good reason.

But, wait !!!! Loco112 DID take this post seriously enough to offer some help. It looks like maybe you're not completely alone after all.

Sorry I can't help you any, but best of luck to you....

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 pm 

Tweetsie, answer this question that I assume has been plaguing everyone’s minds. Why? There is an existing Y6 that could use some attention or a full rebuild. Instead of spending multi-million dollars to build one from scratch, why not spend one to two million to restore and existing one? Even better, why not rebuild the two surviving pieces of articulated NW history, the Y and the A? (2156 and 1218)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:05 pm 

I think Tweetsie is probably trying to say spending multi-million dollars to build a new steam locomotive from scratch is to have one that can last longer than the ones that still exists. there are a number of reasons to support to build a brand new steam locomotive are

1) create a more fuel and maintenance friendly locomotive to keep cost down.

2) easier to develop new kinds of fuel for it to run on than trying to convert an existing one.

3) a brand new steam locomotive that is more modern and can be easier and maybe cheaper to insure than a existing one

I thought about making a brand new B&A berk from 20s instead of a modern for many reasons but I'm not going to because many obstetricals that stand in the way. however I have several answers to solve those problem but there's plan B it that fails. it's a thought

I don't know what you thoughts about what I said here I like to know

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

Next week on RYPN: why aren't young people interested in being involved?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:49 pm 

Yea, DO figure…. I started out as a kid, 50 years ago. With only a very few exceptions, the museum/train club/historical society types were pretty mean to me overall. It was WORKING RAILROADERS that encouraged me and cultivated my interest. They did NOT do it by hogging the seatbox, either.

I tried to tell them 50 years ago that they might need my help in the future, but nobody much listens to me. From what I can tell, young folks don't have it much better today.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 pm 

Hmm, New build steam has never been very successful in the states. The Brits have a fair few of these projects underway and are making better strides at bringing back history.

As for US new steam, Several projects have been proposed for modern steam and none of them have ever taken shape. Those projects include but not limited to the ACE 3000, The Shoemaker locomotive and a slew of others. The ultimate steam pages tell some of the tale at attempting modern steam for today's railroads. http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/21_cent.html

The T1 project is not just a reconstruction but a update and modernization on a old flawed design. If I am not mistaken? They are using drawings published by Lima locomotive works engineers. Some of the info on what could have been was written about in the issue of TRAINS Magazine titled "Did we scrap steam too soon".

Some of the modern designs above could still be attempted on the frame of old diesels. Too bad all of the big super 7 GE diesels are gone now as those would have been a good pick for rolling chassis.

There is even now talks of a heat pumped condensing type tender for steam locomotives. https://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/hvalentine/condense.htm

The Brits did have one attempt at a modern steam locomotive based on modern engineering concepts called the 5AT which was cancelled. Some serious work had been done on this locomotive but sadly it came to an end for economic reasons among a few other issues.

Another book I can't recommend enough is David P. Wardale's book. The Red Devil & Other Tales From The Age Of Steam. It's expensive and hard to find. I got lucky and got a copy from Abe's Books for just $13 dollars a couple summers ago. But I did look for it for a long time before I found a copy. It's a great look into attempts at modern steam and the failures of that pursuit in a era when railroads did not want to even talk about modern steam in the face of diesel and electric traction.

As for a new Y6B. The time to think about saving one was back in the 1960's and 1970's. The opportunity was there but not the right sorts of people.

There is the Y6A 2156 which could be converted to simple expansion and restored to running order if enough money was tossed at her owners to get her to stay in Roanoke. 2156 has a crack in her frame so might need a new frame section or some very intricate welding and repair work.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm 

I have a feeling that Tweetsie12 is this same person saying they're going to buy a Chinese loco and start his own operation: https://www.burnsland.com/disneyrailroa ... =10&t=5383

Last edited by p51 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 pm 

P51 I have to say yes he is

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:33 pm 

Quote:
"The T1 project is not just a reconstruction but a update and modernization on a old flawed design. If I am not mistaken? They are using drawings published by Lima locomotive works engineers."

I think you may be confusing the T1 with the Q2 here.

The T1 of course is predominantly a Baldwin design, and the drawings used by the T1 Trust are almost all from PRR historical sources.

At some point, Riley Deem, an ex-Lima engineer, worked out an arrangement of geared conjugation for the two engines on a Q2, to eliminate the potential for high-speed slipping of the forward engine. This was to have been marketed via his North American Locomotive Company. Perhaps someone here has definitive knowledge of the precise Deem design, timeline, and history.

Since direct geared conjugation will not work for a variety of reasons, the current geared-conjugation approach (which can be added to 5550 if simulations or other research indicate a necessity) was developed from the same premise, but not directly from Deem's approach.