It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pennsylvania Railroad K4 1361
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 pm 

Hello Everyone. So, I stumbled upon some stuff about Pennsylvania Railroad K4 #1361 being restored in fits and starts, and I was curious about it's restoration status. I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time putting it into words.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania Railroad K4 1361
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:17 pm 

1361's ill fated restoration usually elicits some strong debates and is generally regarded along with a certain 2-10-4 just outside Pittsburgh and the infamous Birdsboro quarry locomotive as topics that we try not to discuss on this board. I'd recommend using the handy-dandy search tool on the upper right hand corner of the page if you're looking for some context on it, as well as the current state of its restoration.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

I have a feeling that a certain ex-C&O Mallet may soon join that elite group of locomotives.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:45 pm 

Tweetsie, the K4s is one of the most high-profile and beloved steam locomotive to ever grace American rails. It was prematurely fired and put into service after being removed from Horseshoe Curve. Potentially, the operators dodged a shrapnel grenade every time it was fired. To remediate the issue, the locomotive was sent to Steamtown shops where a series of individuals worked on the locomotive without a overall plan, nor managed by a single competent engineer. This was NOT THE FAULT OF STEAMTOWN.

Partially rebuilt, it was being inspected when it was discovered that an immense amount of money was wasted on bad repairs, incompetent repairs, and repairs that wouldn't pass inspection. Result: The locomotive had to be removed from Steamtown, and was shipped in pieces, back to Altoona.

Now, because the amount of money spent could have probably built two other locomotives being competently managed, fuses have run short and people have turned their backs on the K4s and the Altoona owners.

Some of the repairs executed while at Steamtown are solid and known to be good. What they are still needs to be sorted out. The big ticket item is the Pennsy Belpaire boiler, which nobody wishes to risk their reputation on rebuilding. So...

As you have been told, you can do anything with enough money. I am certain everyone wants to see the K4s restored. Whether they would stand next to it with the boiler and firebox it presently has is another question. A reputable shop, such as Strasburg RR, could rebuild a new boiler, but it would cost another million bucks. If someone coughs up the cash, the K4s can run again. Who will be that donor is a long term question.
Because the first restoration was done in haste, we all sit and wait today.

I think that says it.

Last edited by Richard Glueck on Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 pm 

I don't think any locomotive has been discussed more than the 1361. Here's the latest thread on it which pretty much brings things up to date:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38401&hilit=1361

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:47 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A pertinent thread we link to in the FAQ regarding 1361:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23495

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm 

If you haven't already gotten into it, another sub topic here is the Belpaire Firebox. On the 3rd page of this thread is a picture from the inside of 1361's firebox. You can see the labyrinth of stays and cross braces.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36091&start=30

The cross bracing front to back and side to side impact the spacing of the crown stays. In the case of 1361 meeting the safety factors involves more that changing the spacing of the stays. Change A, that means change B, which could mean changing C and D and so on. Thus all of the merit to build a new boiler which would require designing it to current specifications which the 1918 model does not meet. (At least the version that retired - a version that did not have the nuts on the crown sheet stays example diagram here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38486&p=237678&hilit=Stay+bolt+stress#p237678

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:13 pm 

PRR 1361 is already planned to be restored by Bennett Levin. He plans to rebuild the locomotive with a new boiler and Timken roller bearing trucks.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:08 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
NS6770fan wrote:
PRR 1361 is already proposed to be restored by the collective fundraising and reconstruction efforts of a committee being assembled by Bennett Levin and NS's Wick Moorman. Their proposal plans to have the locomotive rebuilt with a new boiler and Timken roller bearings on the driver axles.

Fixed That For You.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:01 pm 

I thought 1361 was now the property of the City of Noblesville...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 am 

robertmacdowell wrote:

The PRR 1361 is owned by the Railroaders Mermorial Museum in Altoona, PA. It is planned that she will be restored.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 am 

NS6770fan wrote:
robertmacdowell wrote:

The PRR 1361 is owned by the Railroaders Mermorial Museum in Altoona, PA. It is planned that she will be restored.

You definitely missed the sarcastic humor there...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life