It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Service bulletin --- Knee replacements
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 pm 

Perhaps I flatter myself unduly, but I think at least some RyPNers will be interested in hearing about the latest in knee repairs.

At my last checkup, my surgeon assured me that THERE ARE NO STEEL PINS IN MY KNEECAP. While other surgeons may still use this method, and it was common in the past, he considers the best way to fix a kneecap to be what I was going to suggest as an alternative:

They take your kneecap and mill it no thinner than 12mm (and just how in Hell they chuck up a kneecap, indicate it in, and cut it precisely is beyond me). Then they mill three sockets with standard depth, diameter and spacing, to fit three bosses (maybe 1/4 dia by 1/4 deep) which are molded integraly with the nylon wear plate. The two pieces are then cemented together, and put back in your knee. I don't know about anybody else, but this sure seems like a better way to do things to me. I'd say that construction is at least as strong as the original, or stronger. Even if the glue atarts to let go, I think the whole thing is under compression most or all of the time.

He also shook his head after seeing that I had only 5 hours of PT, but had recovered satisfactorily, and commented "Guess everybody is different". The only possible reply was of course "steam locomotive mechanics are a breed apart".

As far as soreness, stiffness, and swelling, he tells me that this is normal for up to a year after surgery.

He also advised me that I could put plenty of pressure on my new kneecap without danger of breaking anything, provided that I apply force gradually, and STOP if I feel any intense pain. Since I work slowly and carefully anytime I'm NEAR a steam engine, this is pretty normal.

What is truly above and beyond the call of duty for a surgeon, is that he has accepted my offer to meet me at the locomotive and try some of the work himself, just to see how the other half lives. After thinking this over, I think I better not let him touch anything, because he has surgery on somebody else the next day, and he might hurt one or both of his hands fooling around. Maybe I better demonstrate some of our work methods while he watches.

And if anybody in Colorado/Southern Wyoming/Western Kansas needs their bones worked on, it would be a pleasure to put you in touch with these guys.

Take Care & WORK SAFE

Sammy King

Post subject: Re: Service bulletin --- Knee replacements
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 pm 

I think its a neet idea to show what you do, he may offer tips how to do things. A lot of engine work is strong and hefty, and if your arms/body arent accustomed to it, I wouldnt push it. But if he wants a little taste of the work, go for it. A lot of the work on a big engine is still as masterfull as a surgeon is, as when many parts are measured into thousandths of an inch, they run like clockwork.

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:53 am 

Sammy,

I'm glad your knee is doing better!

Take care,
Cody Muse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:27 pm 

Thanks for your replies, fellas. I wouldn't have connected knee replacements to "railfanning", hence would not have known either thread was here if Cody hadn't told me... (On the other hand, I wouldn't want to do the moderator's job, especially for nothing, and I SURE wouldn't want to try and arbitrate the various crybabies and crabby old SOBs when they get started on their tantrums and catfights.)

I appreciate your input Mr Dinwitty, but just TOUCHING my engine always gets my hands dirty enough to require washing them first with diesel fuel, then automotive handcleaner, then dishwasher soap, and finally SOS pads. Even that doesn't get it all off, and I wear gloves... Yes, and my locomotive is a lot cleaner than when I bought her, too !!! Maybe my surgeon shouldn't risk it, but if he's really determined, I won't be able to talk him out of it.

Take Care & WORK SAFE

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:21 pm 

This is so cool! Did you document the visit fully? It would make an interesting show.

Be advised that when he scrubs for surgery, any possible dirt or diesel oil he gets on his hands will have been washed off at least 25-30 minutes before he stops scrubbing. At least for ophthalmic surgery it takes about 40 minutes of more-or-less-continuous scrub under running water to get the job done. (Unsurprising that surgeons don't want to 'break prime' between cases once they get that accomplished!)

And this is all before any gloves or other hand treatment are applied over the clean skin.