It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Pyle National Turbine Generator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:38 am 

Good evening folks. My name is Stephen McClure from New Hampshire. I was wondering if anyone here has any engineer or mechanical drawings for the pyle national MO-6 and k-2 steam turbine generator 1:1 scale.

The reason i am asking and need help is that i am working on a project to make a live steam working turbine generator in 1/8th scale that is detailed. I plan on making castings and turn the castings into real working generators for our live steam hobby builders.

Any help would be great. Thank you

Steve

Post subject: Re: Help with Pyle National Turbine Generator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 pm 

It occurs to me that neither the turbine nor the generator components will 'scale' accurately from blueprint dimensions down to 1/8 scale.

You might want to develop a prototypical 'envelope' for the generator, perhaps from a pointcloud representation, and then calculate the correct duct conformation and turbine wheel for the size and make that part of the casting coring. The generator is probably best approximated with permanent-magnet excitation (using commercial samarium or NIB magnets) and simple coil structure, again inside the 'scale' generator housing. You would then model the 'visible' portion of the structure and shaft at the interstage, behind the access door, to scale (perhaps as components that press over the actual shaft prior to final balancing).

The turbine also needs to be adapted to run on live-steam pressure and relative lack of superheat, but you probably already know that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 pm 

There was somebody manufacturing a working turbo generator for 1" and 1.5" scale at one time. Moseley is the name that comes to mind. Maybe that can help you find some mor info.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:59 pm 

Why, lookie here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Turbine_Generator

There appear to be links to suppliers; I did not have time to check them.