It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abandoned In The Woods
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:13 pm 

I've heard rumors of an abandoned Garyville Northern 0-4-0T out in the woods of Livingston, LA, intact. Only a few people have ever seen this loco, and have never come across it twice. No photos, no specific location. If anyone has any information on this engine or its whereabouts, I'd appreciate the help very greatly. I'm currently in the works of getting a group together, collecting materials, retrieving information, and going out and discovering this locomotive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Abandoned In The Woods
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:32 pm 

Just a general comment, but start with old maps and walk the roadbeds. It wouldn't have gotten too far without rails.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:15 pm 

The locomotive you are referring to is supposedly a forney, no idea if its the same forney as the one in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12721

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:17 pm 

In reference to walking old RR grades in the woods of Louisiana, I would suggest in several parts of the state that you would need waders, and protection against several forms of critters that do not much care for your presence. Many of the cypress RRs laid their rails on roadbeds made of cypress logs, and those were pulled up and sent to the mill as the operation ended.
If you are not in the swampy areas of the state, the regrowth of the timber makes the grades of many of these railroads impossible to locate on the ground without a GPS and a topo map. And sometimes not even with that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:53 pm 

Saw a thread that suggested the locomotive was still on rails, though can't be sure. Supposedly somewhat sunken into the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 am 

I'm going to guess these are the same locos. These stories are frequently exaggerated, in fact you're lucky to find one where they actually exist at all, let alone are in the same condition they were when "the train crew parked the train and walked away, never to return" (How many times have we all heard that story?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:08 pm 

What is it about this topic that would call for removing this thread from the main forum and placing it in the railfanning section?