It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We're Not The Only Ones With Old Machines
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 pm 

An interesting parallel with a number of things here, including the proposals of running heritage services with commuter trains:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ch/504488/

Post subject: Re: We're Not The Only Ones With Old Machines
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:30 pm 

I see a similarity with the gp38/sd40 platform here. There is so many still running that have been modified, modernized and overhauled numerous times. I guess it goes to show, when you get it right, you get it right.

Post subject: Re: We're Not The Only Ones With Old Machines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:42 am 

Hi J3a-614,

Thanks for the link to the air force issues. On a technology level, the Panzers of WWII era Germany were better than the Shermans of the US. Sometimes simple and high construction volumes can overcome a better technology).

The cars from the 1960s could be repaired by most anyone who was willing to get their hands dirty. Today's cars have computers in them (dedicated and proprietary).

Heck the engineer of a steam locomotive in the 1830s was able to fix most anything that broke on his engine - hence the title engineer,

The most advanced, fastest and stealthyest spy plane was the successer to the U2. The SR71. Designed with fuel tanks that leaked until it got to the supersonic and 70,000-odd foot altitude where it would expand and then seal all the leaks. A design done with slide rules in a probably pre-computer or calculator era (I think it was late 1950s).

DOug vV