It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ed Dickens talks about 844
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:23 am 

[quote="hamster"][quote="Rob Gardner"] If he isn't using qualified pressure vessel welders, that will eventually be brought to light. It's not our game, we're just observors in the stands at this point. [/quote]

It is my understanding that Part 230 requires qualified welders for work on the unstayed parts of the pressure vessel. There is no such requirement for welding on the stayed portions of the boiler. Common sense tells us that it is not a good idea to allow anyone but an experienced welder to work on these parts of the boiler, but that welder does not have any special certifications. It makes sense, therefore, to hire the right guy with the right qualifications so you have the resource at hand when needed.[/quote]

under part 230 you can qualify your own welders following acceptable testing and certification. I believe that test coupons are sent to an AWS lab. Once your welder has passed the welder can then perform the type of welding that the testing covered.

Post subject: Re: Ed Dickens talks about 844
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:55 pm 

I may be wrong, but my understanding is this:

FRA generally states that: "The steam locomotive owner and/or operator shall perform welded repairs or alterations on unstayed/stayed portions of the boiler in accordance with established railroad practices, or an accepted national standard for boiler repairs."

The commonly accepted national standard is the NBIC, which usually refers to the "original code of construction" and/or the ASME, and generally refers to ASME section IX welding criteria for certifying welders, etc.

It is my understanding that ALL pressure vessel welding (on a boiler) MUST be done by a certified welder following NBIC / ASME criteria. If a "standard railroad practice" exists that the FRA will accept, that may be used as well.

The only thing that Part 230 calls out is that the FRA must be notified and give permission to weld on unstayed portions of the boiler IF the carbon content exceeds 0.25%. Stayed portions do not need approval.