PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:07 pm 

Worthy of a Hollywood blockbuster.

Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fWedSayZ64A

Watch it in 1080 full screen. WOW!

-Chris

Post subject: Re: best RR video i have ever seen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 pm 

That was amazing! Such views and the shots were just breath taking.

Chris

The Norfolk & Western...home of the A's,Y's,M's,K's and the Mighty J's....well done Roanoke....well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:21 pm 

In the same vein, with breathtaking shots and wonderful cinematography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1bp8D2Wzn8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 pm 

Both were really well shot! The music of the second didn't seem to fit but the camera angles mafe up for it.

-R. F. Hanks
Swindon Locomotive Works
March 18, 1960

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:14 am 

Great clips from both, and the first set is especially impressive as it comes from a contest sponsored by a drone manufacturer, suggesting an amateur filmmaker. Bravo for both!

At the same time, I am still bugged that we do not seem to be able to get a really good railroad-themed film or television series made. I don't know what we lack. We've got photogenic equipment, scenery (even a turkey like "Atomic Train" managed to look good visually--you would have to try hard to get things to look bad on the British Columbia Railway), great history (with plenty of symbolism, tying in with the destiny of America, helping to fight WW II, etc.), some fascinating stories (including some wonderfully comic ones), a setting and occupations in that setting that in some ways could be considered exotic--yet what do we get? What do we get? Big budget, over-the-top, impossible-for-things-to-happen-that-way things like "Unstoppable" and "The Lone Range," or low-budget, over-the-top, impossible-for-things-to-happen-that-way stuff like "Atomic Train" and "Last Run."

In my opinion, the last really good films with a strong railroad setting would have to have been "The Train," "Emperor of the North Pole," and "Bound For Glory." Of those, one is set in the unusual situation of late WW II in France, railroaders are villains in "Emperor," and the real story of "Bound For Glory" is about a folk singer in the Depression--good movie, really, but not as rail-centered for us as, say, "Danger Lights" or even "Whispering Smith."

We could have some of the best films of any kind in this theme between the stories, equipment, personalities, and locations we have, and we wouldn't have to spend $215 million or $250 million or whatever it was "The Lone Ranger" ran to.

So, somebody tell me why this hasn't been done? Why is this off the radar for the movie business?

Maybe I'm still really bugged about that TV series I couldn't sell, but still, someone should have been able to have pulled something off by now, rather than another reboot of "Superman" or "Star Trek." Good grief, how many of those films have been made, how many have been made about the origins of Superman or Spider Man? Wasn't "Star Trek" virtually out of gas, and brought back to life again with a whole new origin story? Why can't we even begin to get towards the door?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 pm 

well there is hell on wheels