It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WANTED: Railway Age 89th Quarto Volume (Jul-Dec 1930)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:33 pm 

I am looking for a copy of this Railway Age volume for the purpose of reading possible coverage of a Santa Fe tankcar manufactured by General American. If it contains an article, etc., of this tank class, then I will remain interested in obtaining or finding the volume. (It's the same tank in this thread http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40986)

The first half of 1930 is in the UMSL Digital Library, but not the year's remainder.

Post subject: Re: WANTED: Railway Age 89th Quarto Volume (Jul-Dec 1930)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:23 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
No guarantee the specific issue/article you seek is here, but try here:

http://www.baltimorenrhs.org/maryland-r ... e-library/

Contact form: http://www.baltimorenrhs.org/contact-us/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:02 pm 

I contacted them shortly after I saw your reply, and then they replied today. Nope, they won't help me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Wait, wait, wait--

WON'T, or CAN'T?

Do they not have the issues in question?

You might have to offer them $$ to take the time to search for an individual article--that's standard in the library trade.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:02 am 

Few days ago someone else responded to me that they checked the Railway Age issues in the Maryland Rail Heritage Library. They found one issue from the second half of 1930, but it doesn't feature the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:14 pm 

I am currently searching Tom Taber's master index of Railway Age and other publications for any mention of any tank car by GATX in that era, and I'm coming up empty Nothing in 1930, nothing even close to the right description.

Please double-check your alleged source/reference for this alleged mention before investing time and money further in the search.

Have you tried the Santa Fe Historical & Modeling Society? They're better than average. If you get nowhere, I can contact specific individuals.

https://sfrhms.org/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:54 pm 

From an associate:

Quote:
I don't have any additional information. Several communities out in the Mojave had to have their water hauled in. The water came from Newberry Springs, east of Barstow, and near Rice. The Santa Fe Railway H&MS published a book on tank cars. I'm sure this car is covered as well as a bunch of others.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
From an associate:

Quote:
I don't have any additional information. Several communities out in the Mojave had to have their water hauled in. The water came from Newberry Springs, east of Barstow, and near Rice. The Santa Fe Railway H&MS published a book on tank cars. I'm sure this car is covered as well as a bunch of others.

I read that book in a railroad library last year and found the chapter of this tank class. However, I don't recall seeing a reference for the information concerning the tank's manufacturing.

Also, Raillway Journal published two pictures relating to this tank in the August 1930 issue, but I couldn't find an article dedicated to the tank. So it's possible that Railway Age never had such an article.