It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Antique Railbike
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:57 pm 

I have a vintage, homemade (I think) railroad bicycle that I'd like to sell. It's constructed with three flanged wheels and a single rubber tired bike wheel, and has a "sidecar" with side-saddle seat for a passenger. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the history or how old it is. I got if from the estate of someone who may have been a railroad worker (they had quite a bit of other railway stuff). I assume it was used to get around in a yard or between signal towers or work sites.

I've done a bit of work on it, all non-invasive (so nothing that should damage or alter the original design). I braced a broken weld, replaced the old rotten and deformed rear wheel, replaced the crank and bearings, and replaced the chain. I've kept all those original pieces and can include them.

It does work! I've had it out on some abandoned lines (on public land cut off from any live track). It works pretty well on straight track even through medium grass and brush cover. It sometimes derails if there are too many dents, bends, big branches, or deep snow on the rails!

I would keep it and look for more abandoned railroads to play on, but I have too many projects and not enough storage or display space. It's also a bit cumbersome to haul around with my vehicle, I'd prefer something lighter that folds up.

I'm asking $375 for it. I'm located in St. Paul MN and could deliver within the local area, anyone farther away would need to arrange shipping. It does fit (barely) in a small SUV with the rear hatch open, and would fit in a pickup bed or maybe even on a roof rack if you had good straps.

Video of it operating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kreByV2NKOU

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 72.22 KiB | Viewed 5228 times ]

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 193.22 KiB | Viewed 5228 times ]

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 100.42 KiB | Viewed 5228 times ]

Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 107.93 KiB | Viewed 5228 times ]

Attachment:
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 76.98 KiB | Viewed 5228 times ]

Funter Bay History

Post subject: Re: Antique Railbike
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:53 pm 

That's an awesome piece, it's a shame I live literally ten thousand miles away (to put it in perspective, I don't know whether it would be quicker to go from your place to mine going towards the west or the east) because I'd have taken that from your hands.

I sometimes go to see my parents in the countryside, where there are lots, LOTS of abandoned railways (they live in France, and the French government has been trying to kill the train in favor of cars and trucks since the 60s) and it would be quite great for my son and I to go around exploring the region.

Post subject: Re: Antique Railbike
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm 

As an update, this eventually sold to someone involved with the Lake Superior Railroad Museum. Hopefully it will get some use up there!

Funter Bay History