It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Captive Cabeese In America--Back In Print!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:43 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Well, sort of.

Of the multitude of reference books scattered around my roll-top desk, covering everything from breweries to locomotive rosters to every railroad in Pennsylvania to employee timetables to covered bridge inventories to steam locomotives to British locomotives to SPV atlases, the one that somehow seems to get the most use here is S. Roger Kirkpatrick's Captive Cabeese in America, published by the American Railway Caboose Historical Educational Society (ARCHES), a membership organization of caboose enthusiasts with its own newsletter.

Not a week goes by when I'm not corralled into looking up data on some caboose or another, preserved or simply ostensibly preserved. Although this 298-page spiralbound expanded second edition dates to 2008, it's still the best resource for this stuff out there because the U.S. lacks its own version of the Canadian Trackside Guide.

Over 7,500 cabooses (cabeese? whatever....) are listed first by state/town (or as close as some will get), then by "current" identification when known. Details are given as to location, former numbers, past locations, etc. as best as limited space allows. Some privately held cabooses have obscured/vague locations to protect privacy--happy Google Earth searching......

The book then lists all cabeese by railroad/reporting marks and number, listing the location but not the specifics so you can look it up in the location section. Any number/ID a caboose is known/confirmed to have carried is in this master cross-list.

It was reported in the September issue of Railfan & Railroad that this book, which had a press run of 500, was long "out of print" after 200 copies vanished from storage during a move in 2012. Those 200 copies have surfaced, and are being offered for $34.95 each plus shipping. Go read the back pages of Railfan & Railroad's September issue, and one of their columnists will tell you how to get a discount. Send to:

ARCHES, PO Box 4343, St. Louis, MO 63123.

And now I feel less guilty for discovering my own copy of this tome in an AAUW book sale for only $3 some years ago..........