It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Clamp & bolt on Rail Stops
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm 

The Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum in Willimantic, Ct is in the process of pouring the floor in the 1892 Columbia Junction Roundhouse. Before we finish pouring the concrete floor, we are in need of at least 8 Rail Stops (or 7 if you have a match for the unpainted one, shown below).

As can be seen in the photo we are looking for the cast steel, bolt or clamp on type of rail stops (no tie heels or flip downs) Aldon CS-2, RailsCo WS-200, RRtools RRT-3929, or equivalent. For esthetics we would like to avoid the plate steel versions (inside the roundhouse).

Thanks,
Rich C.
http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org
Attachment:
Rail Stops.jpg
Rail Stops.jpg [ 121.36 KiB | Viewed 3686 times ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for Clamp & bolt on Rail Stops
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 am 

Small (a couple of inches high), plate steel fabricated stops were more commonly used in steam-era roundhouses. I have also seen 2" x 2" x 8" steel blocks welded to the rail ends in roundhouses. These freight-car wheel stops you show would cause damage to engine pilots- and steam power was put into roundhouses front end-to-outside wall 95% of the time. Look for some photos of roundhouse interiors and you will see the type I'm describing.

And, they are also too high for diesel pilot end plates, and passenger car brake beams. I speak from experience.....

Howard P.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Clamp & bolt on Rail Stops
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm 

Howard, thanks for the info, will keep that in mind.

With the proximity of the back wall, and the Roundhouse being a display & work area (eventually to be only display), the couplers of the equipment can't go past the end of the pits anyways, especially if we decide to have displays against the rear wall. The cast stops are more visible to the general public (especially when painted Safety Yellow), so hopefully visitors won't fall into the pit or crash into a coupler while walking around. Then again the old engineer's (mechanical designer type) adage, `When you design something to be fool proof, someone will come out with the new Improved Fool...' will come into play.

Regards,
Rich C.