It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who needs Icebox latches for Wabash, Ann Arbor,or DT&I C
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07 am 

The Steam Railroading Institute is beginning the restoration of a second former Ann Arbor Railway Caboose which we just recently acquired from Bluewater Chaper NRHS, the #2838. This is the fairly well-known WABASH, angled coupla design, which were received over the course of 1951 and 1952 during the Wabash's ownership of the Ann Arbor.

In talking with several groups which have cabooses of Wabash, DT&I, and Ann Arbor heritage of this type, we have found an interesing quirk that has hit most of us who have tried to restore these; for some unknown reason, the latch sets for the onboard iceboxes, in nearly every case, seem to be either missing or broken. In our case we have gotten lucky, in that while ours is not currently working, it IS all there.

As word has spread, we have quickly found there is some SERIOUS interest in having these reproduced. What SRI and member Steve Zuiderveen offers is this --- since we are creating new castings out of pocket for Steve's Caboose (#2839, and currently at SRI) and our #2838, are there others out there than might wish to join in? If so, let me know, and email back channel. Photo of latch is included below, as well as shot of Steve's caboose with our summer weekend train with a Model A group out of Lansing.

Thanks,

TJ Gaffney
Steam Railroading Institute[/url]