It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Attractions in Europe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 2:39 am 

<P>A friend of my is going to Amsterdam for a few weeks, and traveling to Salzburg in the interim Wants to know what steam attractions, museums, preserved rail stuff, etc. he might see while there.<br>

hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Steam Attractions in Europe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 2:45 pm 

<P>Several things come to mind. The Dutch railway museum is at Utrecht. The German rail museum can be located at Nurenburg, the Swiss Museum of Transport at Lucerne, and the French National Railway Museum at Mulhouse across the Swiss border from Basle.<p>It sounds like an ideal itinerary to me, however the distaff side of my household might have other ideas. Oh well.<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 4:59 pm 

<P>...And while you're visiting the Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne, how about a ride on one of the operating paddle steamers on Lake Lucerne?<br>

rjenkins@railfan.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 1999 12:50 pm 

<P>There are a lot of steam possibilities in Germany this year. For regular steam operations, there are narrow gauge lines running daily in the Harz Mountains (Harzer Schmallspurbahn) and in the vicinity of Dresden (2 separate lines). <p>For mainline steam, there will be a totally free Plandampf the last day of September and first 4 days of October based at Karlshrue. This event will have 3 pacifics and a couple of decapods plus a small switcher. The road engines will be running scheduled mainline trains for the four days. This is the first free event of this kind, paid for by the local government.<p>Other events are planned, too. Probably several steam excursions running. You can check Rob Dickinson's site and Steam Central for details of steam running in France, Austria and Germany. <p>Of you've never been to the Harz line, its the german version of Durango & Silverton with three different lines running open platform coaches behind 2-10-2T locos. Don't discount the tanks, they are gutsy locos well worth the time to spend time there.<p>For some photos, go to my web page, look dor the Images area and click on the European steam image page. You can download them if you like.<p>Good luck! I'm planning on going to the Karlshrue event myself.<p>-J. Herron <br>

hrvideo@mindspring.com

Post subject: Thanks to all for your Inputs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 1999 9:59 pm 

<P>Will pass this info on to Mr. Sam King.<br>

hkading@rypn.org