It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BIG turntables
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 6:13 pm 

<P>IRM is (still, yet, always) on the lookout for a 115'+ turntable. We bought one from CSX a while back, and they cut it up after we paid for it. We have our eye on a few nearby, but if anyone knows of others that are out of service and available (doesn't much matter where), let me know.<br>

Kevinmccabe@avenew.com

Post subject: Re: BIG turntables
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 1999 4:03 am 

<P>The old 115' Clifton Forge, VA table is still there, but no longer in the pit. It is privately owned and may take some $$ to scrape loose. Try contacting the C&O Historical Society for any contact names.<p>It's too short for your longer locos, but the Frankfort, IN 100' NKP table is still there and unused. NS indicated last fall that they were considering moving it to another location. If NS has decided not to reuse it, it should be available.<p>The Willard, OH table was in use the last time I heard. It's so far into the yard that it is frequently obscured by rolling stock. I wasn't able to see more than the top of the arch last fall.<p>The Parsons Yard table in Columbus, OH was there last summer. The roundhouse was in use for MOW equipment. I don't know if engines make it into the roundhouse anymore or if the table is in use.<p>The Grafton, WV table was in use last fall. And I have read that the B&O museum has dibs on it.<p>You might want to consider building your own if nothing breaks loose. IRM has the manpower and equipment. The engineering is question. Its not high tech, but it is non-trivial.<br>

adamsar@rapistan.com