It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cosmetic Restoration
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 4:43 pm 

<P>While we can all appreciate restoration work that results in operating equipment, I sometimes think many groups bite off more than they can realistically finish. Steam locomotives, especially, are a big challenge, and there quite a few of them presently dismantled while those working on them attempt to obtain funding and/or manpower, or deal with politics and conflicting personalities. Some of these projects, I fear, will not be finished within my lifetime, and I wonder what will happen afterward? Additionally, some museums have amassed large collections of stuff, with not nearly enough volunteers to maintain them.<p>With that in mind, I wonder if in addition to the "steam seminars" that teach about things like boiler tube removal and installation, we should offer week-long programs in cosmetic restoration of rail equipment....<p>There's a bit of Casey Jones in all of us, and we'd all like to get our hand on the throttle of old No. 9, but I wonder if we're really doing locomotives a favor by tearing them apart without knowing when and how we'll finish the project?<p>Cosmetic restoration, however, is more elbow grease than money, and seems much more do-able by volunteers in a reasonable amount of time. The finished project should look like it could run, and be "rollable". All rust would be removed or stabilized, with paint and grease put back in their appropriate places. Then, if an eccentric millionare come's along with funds for a speedy rebuilding for operation, fine, but in the meantime the artifact will be presentable and intact, with deterioraton arrested. Some of the big museum collections might be thinned out, to be displayed at smaller depot projects (or better yet, roundhouses, where a group of ten volunteers might be able to maintain a locomotive and two passenger cars, etc., with a written contract outlining in detail the proper restoration techniques to be followed, and subsuquent maintenance practices.<p>Initial programs might focus on steam locomotives, but others could concentrate on passenger and freight cars, diesels, and so on. Anyone have thoughts on this idea?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Cosmetic Restoration
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 6:04 pm 

<P>That is treading on dangerous ground, Bob. The idea that volunteer organizations should prioritize preservation of stuff above playing with trains on Saturday is one sure way to become unpopular. Likewise the concept that not everybody is equally qualified to do everything. Or, the concept that the most popular people who are elected to run volunteer organizations haven't also got the best technical and managerial skills. <p>Still, if you are willing to try it please count me in. I have a few of these jobs under my belt and some more scheduled and would like to find out about new techniques and products. Feel free to use our roundhouse and equipment in Savannah as a proving ground.<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: museum goals and objectives
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 6:33 pm 

<P>seems to me that it's time for most railroad museum to set realistic goals and objectives - most have never done so - except - to save everything which ever ran on rails! Regional approaches seem the best idea - I go to Wisconsin to see the local rr scene - not a BIG BOY! I appreciate the smaller museum's which maintain appropriate collections.<p>Yes on the concept of trainning from me!<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org

Post subject: Re: museum goals and objectives
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 10:09 pm 

<P>An excellent topic.<p>IMO, this is an area where we could all take few lessons from our counterparts in the aviation and maritime genres. <p>For the most part, they understand AND ACCEPT that the machines they have are not going to fly or sail again. (Yes, I know about the Confederate Air Force and the two Liberty Ships; that's why I qualified my statement. They are also the exceptions that prove the rule). By not wasting time, money (including fundraising efforts), effort, enthusiasm and political capital on wild-eyed schemes to operate, these entities are free to devote all their energy and effort into stabilization, protection, cosmetic preservation and preservation of the artifact.<p>This has led, in turn, to the development and discovery of techniques and materials that do provide long-term protection of the artifact while not interfering with it's function as a monument and teaching/interpretive tool. <p>Like most of us, they've had to deal with such things as asbestos remediation, removal and disposal of toxics and hazmat. Removal and prevention of rust, protection against weather, etc. They've learned how to not only get rid of rust and seal the new surface, but how to prevent water and condensation from getting into such places in the first place, so they don't have to re-do it again, or at least not as often.<p>A visit to warbird museums and ship memorials can be very instructive int he nuts-and-bolts of cosmetic restoration and preservation. But there is more to be learned:<p>They've learned how to organize and utilize volunteers and keep them focused, rather than allowing them to run wild with their own individual agendas.<p>They've often learned to tap into funding sources and political support to a degree that we can only marvel at.<p>For the most part, they've learned that not every single airframe or keel can be OR SHOULD BE saved. They've learned to prioritize and stay within the levels their resouces (money, manpower, etc) will support, rather than trying to save everything that flies or floats, and thus not doing any of it very well. Contrast that to the rail preservation community, some parts of which are still bogged down in the idea that Absolutely EVERY single freighthouse, storehouse, warehouse, roundhouse, sandhouse, section house and outhouse can and MUST be saved. <p>Last, I don't support the notion that large collections should be disbursed in smaller lots spread around. Many of today's large museum collections consist of stuff that had previously been donated on a one-or-two-at-a-time basis by the railroads, then sat neglected and vandalizedf and (in some cases) in very real danger of being scrapped until the larger musuems stepped in and rescued the piece. <p>There is plenty of evidence all around us that scattering stuff all over the place doesn't work.....look at all the neglected engines and cabooses sitting in city parks and small depot museums around the country. The resources and interest are just not there and asre not likely to suddenly materialize. The outstanding displays and small museums are the exception, not the rule.<p>That said, I agree that there is a need for serious training in the arts of stabilization of things like wood and canvas roofs; wooden cars and locomotive cabs; sealing up journal boxes and grease cellars to prevent water getting in and oil and grease getting out; asbestos removal or containment; sealing up boiler jackets and sandboxes and appliances to keep out rainwater and snow; getting rid of coal and oil and lubricants that have turned corrosive over the passage of time; preservation of gaskets and rubber parts; removal of PCB's and protection of sensitive electrical parts and wiring.<p>just my 2 cents. <br>

Post subject: Bob - post this on the main page!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 4:34 am 

<P>Expertly said.<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org